Exhaust help

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... got under the new truck (89 F250 4x4 dually Lariat 7.3 NA) last night and discovered that the exhaust leak I thought was in the easy-to-replace pipes is actually in the Y-pipe, right at the Y. The rest of the exhaust is pretty ratty, save the muffler. I have a pair of FLowmaster 2-chambers that were spares for the Mustang sitting in the garage. Should I cut the Y-pipe down and fabricate my own "true dual" system? Buy a new Y-pipe and fight the rusty bolts to get the old one off? The truck is a beater, body-wise, so a DIY cobbled-up job is preferable to paying a shop to make a pretty exhaust for me.

Finally, does running the exhaust to the factory outlet location make a big difference in resonance to dumping them short of that location?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Chris

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I have "true duals" on my 86 crew cab and they are 2.5" all the way back to the rear bumber, let me tell ya the truck cackle's like a 460 with glass packs. When the rpm'***** about 2100-2200 it really starts barking. I am going to redo my exhaust system, I would recommend larger diameter pipes if you dont want the " cackle" sound. It would probably breathe better with 3". :D

crzycowboy

Supporting vendor - www.grpipes.com
Reaction score
cscmc1 said:
Ok... got under the new truck (89 F250 4x4 dually Lariat 7.3 NA) last night and discovered that the exhaust leak I thought was in the easy-to-replace pipes is actually in the Y-pipe, right at the Y. The rest of the exhaust is pretty ratty, save the muffler. I have a pair of FLowmaster 2-chambers that were spares for the Mustang sitting in the garage. Should I cut the Y-pipe down and fabricate my own "true dual" system? Buy a new Y-pipe and fight the rusty bolts to get the old one off? The truck is a beater, body-wise, so a DIY cobbled-up job is preferable to paying a shop to make a pretty exhaust for me.

Finally, does running the exhaust to the factory outlet location make a big difference in resonance to dumping them short of that location?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Chris

I think true duals would be just as easy. Before you put those mufflers on, make sure it will work with your truck. I've heard that gasser mufflers are not very good on diesels. Good luck! If you need or want some 3" exhaust pipe and or stainless flex, let me know, my distributors could get ya all set up. I don't imagine it costing so much. :thumbsup:

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents! I'll have a better look underneath and see if the break in the Y-pipe appears to be in a convenient place to cut the pipe and run duals. Thanks for the tips on mufflers, too... hadn't thought of that! The local farm supply has round tractor mufflers for cheap. Wonder how they'd sound? :D

Chris