Excursion owners... question

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the roof rack on your X touch the paint? My 02' just got a new roof ($5000 at the body shop for a month) and the cross rails touch the roof. I don't remember it being this way. Can you take a look? Thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK cool! Thanks much. That confirms they are not bent. Much abliged.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my Ford dealer working on that answer for you. He thought it was 200 pounds, but he's gonna look it up. Hopefully I'll get a call back on that later today.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mel,

I am not 100% sure..... if they do not touch, I know they are close. I will look tonight and let you know.

As for the load capacity, from the bottom of page 73 of the Owners Manual

LUGGAGE RACK
Maximum load is 90 kg (200 lbs) on the roof rack structure, or 45 kg
(100 lbs) on the roof panel slats, evenly distributed. If it is not possible
to distribute the load, position it as far rearward as possible. Use
adjustable tie down loops to secure the load.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mel,

I looked this evening at my luggage rack. The outside 4 ribs in the roof do not touch the crossbars. The two center ribs just touch the crossbars. I moved the bars to look, and you could just see where they touch, not enough to damage the paint, but they do leave a slight mark. So I am not sure, but the 2 under the latches, and the to ribs just inside of those should not touch. As far as I know, there has never been anything on top of the truck except snow.......

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My body shop guy couldn't believe that Ford designed it that way. It didn't sound logical either, which is why I asked you guys. I think most folks who own an Excursion would agree... you never see your roof. Unless you get out the scaffolding to wax it. Consequently, I couldn't remember if they touched or not. I never waxed the roof in the 3 years I've owned it. Guess come spring, I'll have to try and do so, since there is all new paint and everything up there. My body shop guy did an awsome job. Good body shop men are either magicians or artists. I can't decide which. ;Sweet

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'm sure that with a little ingenuity one could change the crossbars to lift off the roof if you cared. a 200lb roof rack is largely useless to me, although I've considered getting a safari basket to carry rubberised luggage bags up there...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree Mel, I think I have only seen the roof of my Ex maybe a half-dozen times, one of them was last night, I am 6'4" and do not have a prayer of seeing it. I have seen it a couple times when I was inside a building and was above it. I need to clay-bar and wax the whole truck in spring. I noticed last night where the ribs are starting to oxidize and I do not think the area inside the roof rack rails has ever been waxed, above the front seats is not oxidized so I think it has been waxed. Did they have to replace any of the headliner or controls that mount to the inside roof? I remeber seeing the console and the rear HVAC controls hanging down? Is yours a Limited package? It looks just like mine on the interior, and mine is an Eddie Bauer, but the Eddie Bauer package was not offered till 03. Glad to hear you got it back, and it look good. I can't count the times that I have heard when someong gets a vehicle back and says it looks like it was never hit. My thought is, isn't that the point? Any pictures of the repair?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is a Limited. No, near as I can tell all the stuff on the inside is original. I guess it is resilent. I do have a buzz from the rear climate control panel. I can make it stop if I put my hand on it. I guess those things just snap in, and we all know how well stuff likes to snap and unsnap. :rolleyes: I only saw it once in the body shop, and the interior was gutted and the windsheild was out. Pretty sad looking. Reminded me of a burned out vehicle without the char marks. LOL No pics unfortunately.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it may have been, but no 100% sure. I know that I read somewhere the Eddie Bauer was a new package in 2003. It does not say if it was a 6.0 timeframe also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online