excessive white smoke at startup

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
now that im a colorado resident ive noticed that whenever i start my truck it smokes and idles very rough until it reaches operating temperature (5-10 mins of driving). i know that i have a small fuel leak but does this sound like a fuel or GP problem hope all is well with you guys and i will fill you in on the trip details soon. ;Sweet

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well does the truck start up quick when it's cold or do you have to run the starter for a bit? Sounds more like a glow plug problem to me. But if your WTS light operates normally and you don't have to crank for long periods then it'd gonna be something else.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
mel what about timing? i still haven't found a shop around fort collins to time my truck.

3-7 seconds of cranking required...but i am still leaking fuel from somewhere also

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well thats why I asked about the cold advance. It would be nice to know it is working. A dynamic timing job could confirm it.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
to test cold advance...ignition on and I remove the connector and see if I hear a click? CTA is the furthest from the driver correct? thanks :hail

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think listening to the sound of the solenoid closing is going to be much of a test. If the return line is obstructed, or the fuel port in the valve is plugged, or whatever, you won't realy be satisfied that it works. You pretty much need to tell by either a change in the sound of the engine, or by observing the timing change with a meter.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Ya, I think your ear is gonna be the best tool on this one. Since neither one of us has a meter. I would disconnect both of them before your next cold start up. And then hook up the fast idle, make sure the rpms go up. Then disconnect the fast idle and hook up the timing, make sure you hear your timing advance. (Don’t worry, if its working you’ll hear it)
Hmmm, I dunno Nick. Rough idle for 10 min?! That’s a long time. It sure sounds like that pump isn’t doing something right until you get up to temp. Just for a point of reference, I run with my fast idle and timing disconnected, she fires and runs smooth from a cold start and all day long.

Once you're done with checking your fast idle and timing advance, you prolly should fix that fuel leak and be done with it. I don’t think its your whole problem, but it can only be making a screwy problem even screwier. That’s my .02

DieselRain

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my 6.9L it can not be solved by replacing the injectors. I already tried that. anyone else know how to fix it??

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
ok all GP's are good, fuel leak is good...but the truck still runs rough and puffs white until the coolant gauge gets up to operating temp... the CTA is working( i heard a difference between connected and unconnected) sounded better disconnected so i took her for a drive and it runs a lot better :confused:

anyway i just filled my front tank with B20 at 2.69 a gal ;Sweet mom told me #2 is 3.30 back in socal :puke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online