Every Bird Finds a Worm

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every Bird Finds a Worm (Pics Added)

Wasn't in the market for a truck, but one fell in my lap. I had to buy a travel trailer with it because it was a package deal from an elderly gentleman. We already have a fifth wheel, so now I have to get rid of one of the trailers (haven't decided which one yet), both are similar in size and condition. The truck is 2001 F250 Ext. Cab 2wd 7.3 Powerstroke, spotless on the inside, above average on the outside (ol' guy got the trailer into the side rails). One owner, 35,681 documented miles!! I couldn't believe it when I saw it and still can't believe he accepted my offer. I still have my IDI and it actually helped me buy this truck. When the owner saw how clean the '85 is he said well I know you'll take good care of this one. My son is the big winner he'll get to drive the '01 to school and for his daily driver, but dad will trump him if I need it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Was getting dark so the pics of the two trucks together didn't turn out great, made the bed on the '85 look a different color from door (but it's not). Hope you enjoy Oldbull!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but

I.......hate........you

Lol

Seriously, where are all these deals when I'm looking? Nice score!

Mike

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 thing to check and upgrade is the OEM stock air box if it is still on there as I assume it is. They are very prone to having the lid installed wrong, the tabs on the lid being worn, and the slots on the lower half will wear grooves n them or break. Not trying to scare you. Yours should be OK.(low miles on a 2wd) This is just something that every 7.3 owner needs to address. I like the Ford upgraded air cleaner system. They call it the "severe duty air kit". This is my recommendation and first choice. Hands down the best filtration. I believe the whole system is actually made by Donaldson. Here's a link to the Donaldson page that tells all about it.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/035390.pdf

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Among many things I always look at when buying a used vehicle is the air filter box and the filter itself. Like War Wagon said, the box tabs could be broken or worn out, this isn't just a powerstroke issue. The first used truck I bought and financed was a '98 Ranger. 3.0 V6, 2wd 5spd. I was young and dumb and had no one helping me look the truck over, got had good and hard by the dealer... The truck ran good until I got two blocks from the dealership and the CEL came on. Drove it right back to the dealer. The service department manager treated me like I was a moron, they reset the code and on I went.

About a week later, CEL came on again and truck was running rough. I took it into the tire shop I worked at and the lead mechanic showed me the problem. The airbox tabs were broke and there was NO AIR FILTER in the box either. The mass airflow sensor was sandblasted all to hell. The idle air solenoid was full of dirt, the throttle body was sandblasted too. What a disaster. I only put about 10k miles on that truck before it cracked a piston. Truck had no warranty, didn't know what to do. Lemon law only applies to warranty issues... :puke: