Engine Temp Idiot light..

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
We should make it a point to gather the stock ones whenever we visit junkyards. I've only ever found 2. One is in Bruiser now and the other was on a truck that was being sold whole, so no go on it. I kinda feel I'm leading this thread off topic so I'll stop the hijack LOL

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries. I just finished putting a half gallon of distilled water in the rad, and changing the o-rings on #7 inject, and that dumb cap is STILL leaking. I'm running her now to see if all's good with the temp. I really want an OEM tank so I think i'll leave the truck at home till I can get to a yard that'll have my part. I found the sensor on the block, and I'm gonna get in there after the break for beer and coffee. Does anyone sell individual caps? All i've ever seen online was sets, not ala cart. It's a dead-end cap and I don't have another to try to see if I have a faulty cap.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We should make it a point to gather the stock ones whenever we visit junkyards. I've only ever found 2. One is in Bruiser now and the other was on a truck that was being sold whole, so no go on it. I kinda feel I'm leading this thread off topic so I'll stop the hijack LOL

The only ones I've found are brittle enough to poke my finger right through it. But I'm always on the lookout for good ones since it seems overflow tanks are a common loss. I hardly want to look at mine, fearing it may just spontaneously crack if I do LOL

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, I go to check the plug on the engine temp sensor, and I can't pull it off with my hand. SO I get a pair of pliers and this happens
You must be registered for see images attach

I really didn't work it that hard with the pliers.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That harness does see a lot of heat, so it's not surprising. Isn't it a push-on connector? Rockauto sells replacement connectors pretty cheap. Slather dielectric grease on the new one.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That harness does see a lot of heat, so it's not surprising. Isn't it a push-on connector? Rockauto sells replacement connectors pretty cheap. Slather dielectric grease on the new one.

yeah I thought it was a push on which is why I thought that a little extra force would budge it, not break it but hey the lights out;Sweet

also since i took this pic i thought i'd include it..the empty space where my expansion tank should be and the relays that are there now...

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Mel at conestoga has single caps. Just to clarify, you are lubing the o rings before installation? I always put the top one on first then roll the lower one over the top one. I try not to use picks but if you do make sure you are not nicking the 0-ring. Is there a space between the cap and injector hard line nut? if not the return cap is not seated completely. A pair of long 90 degree needle-nose pliers work good for seating the caps.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel at conestoga has single caps. Just to clarify, you are lubing the o rings before installation? I always put the top one on first then roll the lower one over the top one. I try not to use picks but if you do make sure you are not nicking the 0-ring. Is there a space between the cap and injector hard line nut? if not the return cap is not seated completely. A pair of long 90 degree needle-nose pliers work good for seating the caps.

Yeah, I'm using mucho vasoline and doing it just like that. I was worried about the picks, but this time I made double sure to not let the pick catch the ring. Thanks for the steer towards Mel. I thought about using a different cap and just trying to plug the un-used end but that's making MORE places for air to get in. I do not have a pair of 90 needle-nose. I just used hand strength, the rest went on okay like that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford also sells individual caps but they want too much for them. Mel is the better choice for parts and quality. Please use an exacto knife to cut away the casting flash on the inside bottom of the cap. Usually this sharp edge nicks an o ring causing instant leaks. Any cap will fit this blind end area. All you really need is to fill the end with RTV and let it cure. Or something like JB Weld will work. Not a chance it will EVER leak either....

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford also sells individual caps but they want too much for them. Mel is the better choice for parts and quality. Please use an exacto knife to cut away the casting flash on the inside bottom of the cap. Usually this sharp edge nicks an o ring causing instant leaks. Any cap will fit this blind end area. All you really need is to fill the end with RTV and let it cure. Or something like JB Weld will work. Not a chance it will EVER leak either....

Thanks Gary. I think i'll do that now that you mentioned JB Weld working. I did not cut the flash off, I ran my finger around it and it felt clean but who knows. I do want an excuse to buy something from Mel though.