engine compartment relays

Exekiel69

Reaction score
There are 5 of them in my truck on the engine compartment, all with the same part #, now there is one that is not working properly how do I find out wich one is it? If neccesary to buy a new one, how do I know what is the same at the parts store? Since I don't plan to spend $18 a pop at the stealership.

Thank you.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
What is not working? Tell the parts store you want a relay for whatever is not working or figure out what is what. Most have a diagram of which relay is for what. So if your blower isn't working, go to a parts store, tell them you need a blower relay. They should also be able to change the numbers on your relays to their brand, you will just have to determine which is which on your truck, since they are all the same, getting the right replacement should be easy, figuring out which does what will be fairly easy as well, unplug them one at a time.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well all of them have the same part# I believe. Having the parts store change the # into theirs now that is a challenge I'm not up for cookoo :rolleyes: , maybe someplace else but not here. I can't tell what they are for, the ford manuals don't say or I can't find it. The reason wy is last time I was working on the trailer plug I got it to work just fine after switching this relays but the left turn light works intermitently so I'm guessing it has something to do with this relays and one of them (at least) is bad.

Thank you.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
I have a 1994 Ford factory service manual, if I have a better idea what I'm looking for I can try to ID the particular relay.

There is a fuse box in the engine compartment, there are 5 relays on that box that I know I want to know what are they for, I believe one controls the turning lights that go to the trailer. One of the lights on the trailer does not work and it did work before I switched the relays. All this relays have the same part#.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes, it is 10amp and after I replaced it and redowiring all was good but the turning light did not work anymore after I put a new 10amp fuse and switch the relays.(redo the wiring was before that)

Thank you.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I doubt it's the relay. I think you have a wiring problem, still.
Is the wiring out back all hacked up?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
I doubt it's the relay. I think you have a wiring problem, still.
Is the wiring out back all hacked up?

Maybe I do, but wy does the light work intermitently?I redo all the wiring ald there was some rust on the plug, maybe I should just replace the plug.

Thank you.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I have (for 1994)

Diagram shows relay / fuse box with 5 relays on the right side. Relays are numbered from the bottom to the top.

1: Electronic transmission control system
2: Trailer backup lamps
3: Horn
4: Trailer tow or dual rear wheel running lamps
5: unused

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
Here's what I have (for 1994)

Diagram shows relay / fuse box with 5 relays on the right side. Relays are numbered from the bottom to the top.

1: Electronic transmission control system
2: Trailer backup lamps
3: Horn
4: Trailer tow or dual rear wheel running lamps
5: unused

Hey thank You for cheking it out for Me, now guide Me on this one, by the right side you meant the driver side, right? Also where is top and bottom? 1 starting from the driver side to pass or pass to drivers?

Sorry but I'd like to know for sure, since it seems there are 2 relays related to the trailer.

Thank you.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the book doesn't say "where" the box is, it only gives a picture. It shows the fuses on the left, and the relays on the right. Number 1 is right bottom, #5 is right top.

Basically look at it in whatever direction that the relays are in a line up and down on the right side. Also keep in mind this is a 1994 diagram, so it is remotely possible that your 1993 may not be the same.

tractorman86

Reaction score
yup i'd change that plug and make sure none of the wiring is rubbed through first it sounds like a bad connection to me. dosent the relay box have a lid with a diagram if not find someone who's does and that will show u exactly which is which!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mr_Roboto said:
Well the book doesn't say "where" the box is, it only gives a picture. It shows the fuses on the left, and the relays on the right. Number 1 is right bottom, #5 is right top.

Basically look at it in whatever direction that the relays are in a line up and down on the right side. Also keep in mind this is a 1994 diagram, so it is remotely possible that your 1993 may not be the same.

If fuses are in the left and relays at the right then you are looking at it from the drivers side and the #1 is the first one from the drivers side. At least on my truck.

Thank you.