engine bogs, blows black smoke out tail pipe, then dies only in reverse...

BrownTrash

Reaction score
Hello oilburners, I picked up a 93 f350 xlt 2 days ago from a friend of my father, 7.3idi N/A with e40d. I will try to keep this post as short as possible...I am new to diesels, and try to do as much as I can on my own and ask when I get confused...Truck has Ignition problems, would not start from key, only started by jumping relay...Had a minor power issue, I was not getting any juice from the driver side battery, check continuity, problem was the main power wire where it connected to the passenger side battery...cut, new terminals, now power is flowing like it should...pull wires off relay and remove relay...wire brush the wires that connected to relay, relay posts and fender where relay mounts..replace wire going from relay to battery...I figure hey, why not try to start her from the key, maybe what I just did helped...turned the key and she fired up, great!...let her idle for about 15 minutes, test drive time...im more comfortable today then I was the 1st test drive so im giving her more throttle...I notice that she shifts really smooth when at 1/2-3/4 throttle, but still shifts hard when at less than 1/2 which is the same as the first test drive...come back home and getting ready to reverse some then park her...put her in reverse and give her about 1/4 throttle, starts bogging, black smoke coming out of tail pipe, then dies...throw her into park, turn key off, pop hood and jump out and pull both battery terminals, dont ask me why, it was just a reaction.....what now, did i just lock the motor...turn motor over with ratchet and she spins, ok I didnt lock the motor...put terminals back on batterys, start her right up from the ignition again..put into reverse and same thing...let her rest about 5 minutes, hit the key and she fired right up...put her into drive this time, hold the brake and give her some throttle and everythings good, no bogging, smoking or dying...lets try reverse again, hold brake and shift to reverse, does just fine...still holding break I give her some throttle, bog smoke die, bog smoke die...

This did not happen when I picked her up, and drove her around...

So over a few ciggarettes and some good shine I am trying to figure out what happened...maybe something to do with me correcting the power flow? cant be, i was still getting juice from the passenger side battery...but wait, now my ignition works after correcting the power and cleaning connections, so maybe it could possibly have something to do with that...Now im confused, and along with that unexperienced with diesels and fords...

So now I ask questions...What would cause the motor to bog down, shoot black smoke from tail pipe and die only while applying throttle in reverse? Im hoping some type of sensor and not the tranny itself...If anyone has experienced these problems please tell me what caused it...just point me in the right direction, I dont need someone to hold my hand, just some advice and tips..pointers on the hard shifts at light throttle would be greatly appreciated to...
Thanks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your power distribution center in front of the driver-side hood hinge, locate the transmission relay and remove it. Start truck, put it in reverse, see what happens. With no electrical power all the sensors and solenoids in the trans are disabled, she defaults to full hydraulic controls and only gives you reverse, 2nd gear with the shift lever in 1st or 2nd positions on the dash, and 4th gear with lever in the (D) position. Meaning if any solenoids were firing when they shouldn't have, now they won't. Don't drive truck like that, just do it for testing purposes. If all is good unplug the connector on the passenger side of the transmission, it's behind a small heat shield. Inspect inside the connector on the transmission side for moisture or trans fluid. Also inspect the harness connector for damaged wiring - our truck had that issue years ago, insulation on wires shrunk and bared them and they were touching and doing all sorts of weird stuff. Report back with your findings.

BrownTrash

Reaction score
In your power distribution center in front of the driver-side hood hinge, locate the transmission relay and remove it. Start truck, put it in reverse, see what happens. With no electrical power all the sensors and solenoids in the trans are disabled, she defaults to full hydraulic controls and only gives you reverse, 2nd gear with the shift lever in 1st or 2nd positions on the dash, and 4th gear with lever in the (D) position. Meaning if any solenoids were firing when they shouldn't have, now they won't. Don't drive truck like that, just do it for testing purposes. If all is good unplug the connector on the passenger side of the transmission, it's behind a small heat shield. Inspect inside the connector on the transmission side for moisture or trans fluid. Also inspect the harness connector for damaged wiring - our truck had that issue years ago, insulation on wires shrunk and bared them and they were touching and doing all sorts of weird stuff. Report back with your findings.

thank you very much...will let you know how it works out when daylight hits...thanks again

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob! Those trucks are usually pretty reliable, and the E4OD can be a great transmission, honestly I think it's usually external (to the transmission) issues that give them a bad rap. Well, and things like hauling heavy day in and day out without proper coolers and such. So yeah, disabling everything electric/electronic and dropping down to just mechanical action is a good start, gotta know your foundation is good before you proceed to put a house on it ya know.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reverse is thirsty too.this can happen if the filter falls out,or is low on fluid.