Emissions issues

1BDAPL

Reaction score
I have a 1994 VIN K 7.3 idi turbo in a F350 Crew cab dually long bed. Currently has 222000 miles on the ticker. Recently installed a Banks system. While installing I found out the HPOP is leaking fuel. Banks requires more fuel so I ordered a stage 2 (80cc) HPOP from RDI performance. The truck also has RDI injectors. Now after everything is installed it seems like I get a lot of black smoke. Timing is set with the Ferret meter at 8 degrees. I am getting conflicting information. My EGT's get to 5 almost 600 when running it hard. Have not towed with it yet with all the new parts.
I have to run the truck thru emmissions and am worried about the thick black smoke. While on it hard or snap throttle it is pretty bad. Anyone have some Ideas? I am thinking I may be getting a bit too much fuel.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which injectors did you use? The stage ones I’ve heard to be very Smokey but offer a good power increase over stock. Where is your egt probe located? At that low of an egt temp it sounds like you’re using all of the fuel, and shouldn’t have any smoke.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By HPOP do you mean Injector Pump? HPOP is PSD not IDI. And the 80cc IP is essentially a stock rebuild, not stage II.

If your EGT probe is after the turbo(like Banks says to do) then up to 900* is fine. I agree with @Thewespaul.

1BDAPL

Reaction score
Yes sorry Injection pump not HPOP. Was working on a 6.0 today and lost my mind for a bit. Probe is located in the up pipe as directed by banks. The injectors are RD IDI performance injectors. The older style I guess you would say since they just changed to a different injector on their site

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even for that location that’s pretty low. I would try advancing the timing to 9.5 degrees and see if the idle smoke goes away. Take a temp gun and measure the temperature of each injector. They should be within 20* from each other if they are pressure matched and all are firing equally. If you have an injector hanging open it will cause a lot of smoke.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, just wanna make sure we are talking about the same thing. :)
Another spot I would check is the lift pump. If it's not keeping up your timing will be all wrong.

1BDAPL

Reaction score
Really 9.5degrees? I wanna say I saw in the FSM 4.5degrees. But now that I am typing this and thinking about it fuel is ALOT better than it used to be. Lift pump is also new. Pressures to the injection pump are spot on. Or were when I tested it. I will take another look at it and pick up the timing. I just wanna get thru emissions before my temp tag expires. Thank you for the advice

1BDAPL

Reaction score
Really. well does not surprise me that I read wrong. Being a 94 I keep getting info for a powerstroke instead of IDI. even when I have automatic trans selected.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really. well does not surprise me that I read wrong. Being a 94 I keep getting info for a powerstroke instead of IDI. even when I have automatic trans selected.
Yeah that's really common, and you can change the year to 93 for searches and parts stores to eliminate the PSD/IDI confusion. All parts swap between the two years(or at the least 99.99%).

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even for that location that’s pretty low. I would try advancing the timing to 9.5 degrees and see if the idle smoke goes away. Take a temp gun and measure the temperature of each injector. They should be within 20* from each other if they are pressure matched and all are firing equally. If you have an injector hanging open it will cause a lot of smoke.
I like that temp gun idea, never heard of that before. Can that be done just at warm idle?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to do it with the engine cold, makes the readings a bit more accurate imo, give some time for the injectors to be warm to the touch then take a measurement

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another variation on the temp gauge idea is to use a multimeter set on milivolts(mV) and measure each glow plug to ground(wire disconnected).
The glow plugs will create a small voltage due to the temperature differential(basically acting like a thermocouple).
In past experience, measuring voltage between the cylinders will give you a relative cylinder balance. (I recall seeing numbers in the 15-25mV range).