Electronic fuel pump

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find a write up for swapping out the mechanical lift pump for the electric? I looked in the Tech article section but had no luck!:dunno

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search IDI Tech Articles for "How to replace your mechanical fuel pump with a Facet Duralift electric fuel pump".

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm gonna have to study the fuel system of the PSD before this makes sense to me. Lol
Once I understand the system I'll ty again or research the e-fuel more. The typical bolt-on system is just a little to expensive.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fuel systems of these trucks baffeled me for a long time.
how the hell do the injectors squirt the required fuel pressure?
well in a nut shell, the fuel pump only provides fuel to the bowl.
the bowl filters it and heats it.
then send it into the fuel rails internally into the head via a passage pretty much parallel to the oil rails.
this is where the oil plays a part.
the injectors are a 2 chambered system.
as the oil enters the injectors at high pressure, it also fills the injector with fuel via low pressure.
when the oil pressure gets to a certain psi, it shoots the fuel the injector has in it into the cylinder.

its actually very simple.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/1304dp_heui_how_high_pressure_oil_injection_systems_work/

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well in a nut shell, the fuel pump only provides fuel to the bowl.
the bowl filters it and heats it.
then send it into the fuel rails internally into the head via a passage pretty much parallel to the oil rails.
Not quite. The FIRST STAGE of the fuel pump supplies the bowl / filter. The filter supplies fuel to the SECOND STAGE of the fuel pump, which unltimately supplies the rails. But indeed, that's still not "injection pressure", as it's only about 60 psi (first stage is only 10-ish psi). This is why a proper e-fuel conversion replaces the mechanical pump AND the bowl, with a single-stage pump and a stand-alone filter/separator.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search IDI Tech Articles for "How to replace your mechanical fuel pump with a Facet Duralift electric fuel pump".

You can't use the Duralift IDI pump on a PSD. Electric pump has to maintain 60+ PSI.

What madpog said. /\ /\ /\. Need the e-pump and the 99 and up bowl. Only $139 pump and $338 bowl. Plus lines.

Last edited: