electronic brake controller

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i just installed a brake controller and followed the instructions to the letter and i have no trailer brakes how do i trouble shoot whether it is the contoller or the trailer:dunno

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Check for power to the trailer plug on the brake controller wire when the brakes are applied. Make sure you have a good ground as well, most of the problems I've seen are ground related. Also check wires going front to rear, both the vehicle and the trailer, and last but not least, make sure you used the proper pins in the trailer plug for your controller (i.e. - make sure you have the wires on the truck plug the same as the wires on the trailer plug!)

Scott

sassyrel

Reaction score
as sle said-----my 94 had the 7 prong plug--butttttt--it never had factory trailer tow pack---hence no wire for the brakes---only the normal 4 wired in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so---on a 87 bird--on the left front fender---i found a pin and wire to fit in the socket on the outside of the cab---to make it like fac wiring--i also wired in the batt charge feed at the same time--and took them to the back of truck--and wired into the 7 flat connector---now all the pins are functional---!!!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
as sle said-----my 94 had the 7 prong plug--butttttt--it never had factory trailer tow pack---hence no wire for the brakes---only the normal 4 wired in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so---on a 87 bird--on the left front fender---i found a pin and wire to fit in the socket on the outside of the cab---to make it like fac wiring--i also wired in the batt charge feed at the same time--and took them to the back of truck--and wired into the 7 flat connector---now all the pins are functional---!!!

I've never used a truck wiring, nothing I have had ever had it. I wired all mine in, not to mention, I run a 10 ga. wire for the charging port and brake control, and main ground.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i am thinking it is an issue on the trailer itself the trailer brakes are intermittent (I do alot of repairs on Class 8 vehicles) i know my wiring is good so i will just re-wire the whole trailer and redo all the lighting in and out with LEDs while i'm at it.
This trailer also has no suspension (except tires) so my next question is can i just add leaf springs and shocks by simply bolting them to the frame than bolting the axle to the spring. or are mods and reinforcement required?
i am also considering re-skinning the traler with light gauge aluminum checker plate or i will just do the tremclad special

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
i am thinking it is an issue on the trailer itself the trailer brakes are intermittent (I do alot of repairs on Class 8 vehicles) i know my wiring is good so i will just re-wire the whole trailer and redo all the lighting in and out with LEDs while i'm at it.
This trailer also has no suspension (except tires) so my next question is can i just add leaf springs and shocks by simply bolting them to the frame than bolting the axle to the spring. or are mods and reinforcement required?
i am also considering re-skinning the traler with light gauge aluminum checker plate or i will just do the tremclad special

Would have to know more about the trailer for the spring question I guess. Of course tandems require some form of bracket between the springs. Keep in mind ride height as well as springs will raise it unless you get creative! :)

My neighbor and good friend builds them. I'm going to have him put one together for me in the spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online