electrical issues

ELIHMAN

Reaction score
I just had the starter rebuilt on my 83 (the starter drive was freewheeling). Worked fine for a week. Now when I try and start the truck all I get is a loud click under the hood. I replayed the power relay and the glow plug light stayed on all the time so I put my old one on.(this was done before I replaced the starter) Any suggestions. Thanks Eason

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the fender relay is clicking, but nothing is going on at the starter. The rebuild may be faulty. Check the operation of the solenoid on the starter with a test lamp.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Sounds like low voltage to the stater solenoid. Have you tried jump starting it with another vehicle? Put a volt meter accross the battery terminals and see what voltage you get. Should be somewhere above 12 volts. If you have something less than that you're batteries are low. This can be caused by a variety of reasons. Some of the more common ones are lack of use, a drain on the batteries somewhere, a bad alternator that is not charging them, or a bad voltage regulator.

Once you get her running, take the voltage at the batteries again to see what the alternator is putting out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online