Electrical help

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your batteries for boiling.

I chased the same problem, same symptoms, etc, for a while.

Turned out the batteries were bad.

They'd accept a full charge, but be dead the next morning.

And the charging system was constantly putting out 15v or more.

Finally I noticed that after they had been charging for ten minutes or so, they were boiling. You can barely tell. You really have to pay attention.

Replaced the batteries and everything was fine.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I went to pick n pull and got a 130 amp 3g off of a 3.0 Taurus. I believe my draw/overcharging has something to do with the external regulator and it’s wiring on the current setup. So I’m hoping this does something. I am worried about messing up my batteries driving it like this but I don’t really have any other vehicle to drive. I unhooked all my expensive stuff so I don’t cook it with that high voltage LOL

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your batteries for boiling.

I chased the same problem, same symptoms, etc, for a while.

Turned out the batteries were bad.

They'd accept a full charge, but be dead the next morning.

And the charging system was constantly putting out 15v or more.

Finally I noticed that after they had been charging for ten minutes or so, they were boiling. You can barely tell. You really have to pay attention.

Replaced the batteries and everything was fine.
I don’t think that’s it, they seem fine. Anything involving wiring makes me nervous lol

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My batteries seemed fine, as well.

Charge them up, they would take a charge. You could even start the truck, and drive it.

But the next day, dead as a doornail. Disconnect them, and they wouldn't be dead, but they wouldn't crank the engine at all.

And all the time it was running, 15v or higher.

I replaced the regulator.

Then replaced the entire alternator. Then the regulator again. Checked, and double checked all the wiring. Replaced most. Even put extra cables on, to ground the alternator, just in case. And to bring the power from the alt to the battery, not just the solenoid.

Nothing worked. 15v, 15.3, 15.7, etc.

Until I replaced both batteries. Then everything went back to normal. Really strong, and absolutely normal, because I had done all the other stuff, and hadn't needed to. But I had made the system overkill strong in the meantime.

One thing... My voltage gauge in the dash is now ruined. From all that time in overcharge.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My batteries seemed fine, as well.

Charge them up, they would take a charge. You could even start the truck, and drive it.

But the next day, dead as a doornail. Disconnect them, and they wouldn't be dead, but they wouldn't crank the engine at all.

And all the time it was running, 15v or higher.

I replaced the regulator.

Then replaced the entire alternator. Then the regulator again. Checked, and double checked all the wiring. Replaced most. Even put extra cables on, to ground the alternator, just in case. And to bring the power from the alt to the battery, not just the solenoid.

Nothing worked. 15v, 15.3, 15.7, etc.

Until I replaced both batteries. Then everything went back to normal. Really strong, and absolutely normal, because I had done all the other stuff, and hadn't needed to. But I had made the system overkill strong in the meantime.

One thing... My voltage gauge in the dash is now ruined. From all that time in overcharge.
I’m gonna throw in some random batteries tomorrow and see if that does anything.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worth a try! Doesn't cost anything to try. :D

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t able to get any other batteries. But the issue seems to be getting worse. I leave them unplugged overnight and they don’t die. It now charges at like 13.8-14.2 at idle. I’m waiting for my fuse to come in for the 3g conversion. I don’t know if somehow the alternator and wiring got messed up from sitting or what but this is really weird

cbmech

Reaction score
No battery voltage on the signal wire to regulator? Been at long time since I worked on an external regulator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7