Electrical help

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off thus is a cry for help lol. I have always been glad my truck hasn’t had charging issues when I saw other people post about it but I think that finally caught up with me.

The truck will charge out of control as the rpm’s go up. I already tried a new regulator. The wires on the alternator get hot as well as the top of the regulator. The voltage gets so high it’ll kick my amp into safety mode.

I’m not really sure what it could be. All the grounds are good.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw your post on Facebook but really don't know. I'm sure you checked all the connections at the alternator?

Time for a 3G upgrade?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
If you are still externally regulated (v belt), I would suggest getting rid of that first (external regulator). Alot of youtube videos on this and write ups here. I just went to the parts store and got an alternator for a 95 windstar for a 3.8 and a 4 guage wire about 2 or 3 foot. Then went to a junkyard and got the 3 wire plug and stator wire from a 97 taurus and cut plenty of length off of it and followed the youtube video. Works like a charm. If that's not the route you want to take, clean your ground plug coming off the starting solenoid as well as the ground to the regulator as well. That has cured my overcharging in the past.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the field wire from the regulator to the alternator is labeled F on both ends? Make sure you have continuity and good connections on that wire.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are still externally regulated (v belt), I would suggest getting rid of that first (external regulator). Alot of youtube videos on this and write ups here. I just went to the parts store and got an alternator for a 95 windstar for a 3.8 and a 4 guage wire about 2 or 3 foot. Then went to a junkyard and got the 3 wire plug and stator wire from a 97 taurus and cut plenty of length off of it and followed the youtube video. Works like a charm. If that's not the route you want to take, clean your ground plug coming off the starting solenoid as well as the ground to the regulator as well. That has cured my overcharging in the past.
I’d love to do the 3g but I feel like since everything worked perfectly fine before I must’ve done something to it. But I’m seriously considering this

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
You have a valid point, but it is a cheap fix too if you're pulling your hair out.
I have been for some time till my recent swap to the 3g. And I am no wiring guru and I had it figured out and done in the junkyard parking lot in 30 minutes. That's watching the 11 min video, pulling the wires, and snatching the alternator out of a donor. Worked great all the way to o'riley to get a new alternaterlike the junkyard one I just pulled. The one I pulled worked great, but I feel more comfortable with a new one. And at only 76 bucks for the new one with lifetime warranty I can't *****. Just put the junkyard one on the sisters truck and did her swap till she could get a new one as well and her truck is running again. Realistically nelstomlinson probably has your fix if you aren't wanting to swap just yet. If your overcharging, your still charging. Should be a small thing to just fix

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been for some time till my recent swap to the 3g. And I am no wiring guru and I had it figured out and done in the junkyard parking lot in 30 minutes. That's watching the 11 min video, pulling the wires, and snatching the alternator out of a donor. Worked great all the way to o'riley to get a new alternaterlike the junkyard one I just pulled. The one I pulled worked great, but I feel more comfortable with a new one. And at only 76 bucks for the new one with lifetime warranty I can't *****. Just put the junkyard one on the sisters truck and did her swap till she could get a new one as well and her truck is running again. Realistically nelstomlinson probably has your fix if you aren't wanting to swap just yet. If your overcharging, your still charging. Should be a small thing to just fix
If I can’t figure this out within the weekend I’ll be going to a 3g

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I’m pretty sure everything is fine. I checked about a million times. It’s charging at 15.8 volts
I believe the regulator ground is a wire running from one of the regulator mounting screws to the body? The mounting screws on mine just screw into the plastic inner fender, so I definitely need that wire!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726