Electric vacuum pumps from PSD on IDI?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, planning my electrical system upgrades and I'm thinking about eliminating the mechanical vac pump since I'm going hydroboost. Anybody do this? I'm looking at the powerstroke pumps (99 up) but I can't figure out if the pressure switch is integral or external. Any of you powerstroke guys know?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a post on a powerstroke forum that says the pressure switch is inside the pump. I smell a tech article once I get the truck a little farther along. :D

catodd

Reaction score
I would like to know how this works out for you....I am in the process of gathering parts for my hydroboost conversion, just found me a brake pedal from a 96' F450.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be a little while (hint, check the build thread link in the sig) but I will post when I get to it. Its an easy enough swap, I think it's almost a no brainer if you hydroboosted. If it fails, the worst case is the heater defaults to defrost and you loose your cruise control best I can tell.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Just a quick Q?

WHat are the benifits of this swap? Do you think the Mech pump is robbing engine power?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well it'll take a failure point out, that could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. (If you don't carry a spare pump and belt)
Also when you go hydroboost, you only need vacuum for the ac and cruise. Which you can do with a electric pump.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing it would do is free up a spot to run something else there like an onboard air compressor or whatever. Honestly, I'm thinking about parasitic losses. I'd like to eventually loose the mechancial fan too but I'm less keen on that. Like I said, the swap wouldn't cost much more than a new vacuum pump for the IDI so why not do the upgrade. It could be any vacuum pump then so if you did have a failure, you aren't locked into a specific pump that might be hard to find. Any parts store should have something even if its not the exact one you had. Same with the electric fans. Any parts store will have something and wiring is pretty standard. Even if its not exactly what you had, it might get you home. I don't think fan clutches are that easy to come by and honestly, I don't mind carrying a few critcal spares on a road trip but if I can minimize that, I'm all for it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how big is the electric vacuum pump? Im looking at one from an 05 to run my 05 vacuum locking hubs and the thing is tiny! like a 4"x4"x2".
I too will be going hydroboost (coupled with 4 wheel 350mm disc brakes its going to be awesome!), and only need vacuum for hubs and heater/ac

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't have dimensions. I was looking at like a 99 model but as long as it has the internal pressure switches, it just needs key on power and plumbed into the system.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^That seems about right based on the pictures I looked at.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...this thread is useless without pictures ;Poke

It doesn't really remove a point of failure actually. All it does is relocate it where it has less impact on driving if it does fail.

JM2CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online