Electric Pumps for SVO? Which ones and where?

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My mechanical pump bought it, and now I'm thinking I'd like to drop in an electric fuel pump rather than a replacement mechanical one - any thoughts? I'd really like to have that extra pressure - but I'm running SVO and have heard that most of the electric pumps on the market are no good for that. Any thoughts?
I'm stranded right now and thinking that about any electric pump will at least get me home on diesel, is there an el cheapo that somebody has picked up that's done ok that I could then try for SVO? If not, how big of a deal is swapping out a lift pump?

Thanks,

-N

P.S. Sorry - it's a 92 F250 7.3 IDI.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift pump is easy imo. Two bolts, two fuel lines. Coat the new gasket up with oil-type goo.

I'm running the electric facet pump, it does ok with diesel but I wouldn't run much oil through it. If I were you I'd do te mech. Fuel pump and then think about having an electric backup 0ump even. Higher pressure before the IP artificially advances the timing according to Mel IIRC...

The mech. Pump will move pretty much anything. E-pump not so much

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Cheers - I wonder if that's a common enough part for Autozone to have it in stock...

-N

they do just got one about 2 weeks ago from them. i was not running WVO oil then but i have gone through a 2 carters, i holley blue and a couple of airtex solinoid pumps that did not hold up real well with WMO fuel mixes. the stock lift pump has been the best so far.

midnightrider has mentioned about putting a piston lift pump in from a cummins but some R&D would need to be done. it would also take a few bux, they run in the 150-200 range were i paid $26 for mine.

i am kicking around trying to put one in since i got a little play money, might go for a centerfuge instead though......