Electric fuel to Plastic Line Connection?

scjarena

Reaction score
I've search and read plenty of threads and discussions about hooking up electric pumps on a 7.3 IDI, but I'm not sure how to connect to the factory fuel lines.

Mine is a 90 F350 with 7.3. For now, I plan to run the electric pump only an auxiliary pump and may remove my mechanical and block it off at a later date. Its better to "push" the fuel than suck it, so I'm planning to put the electric pump approx after the selector valve on the frame. The 1990 F350 has the plastic lines, what is the best way to connect fittings to these type of lines? Thanks

gandalf

Reaction score
I had much the same thought process when I converted to an electric pump. I mounted mine on the frame rail right after the FSV, on the outside of the rail for ease of maintenance. I also mounted a Goldenrod filter there, after the Carrier pump. I decided to run the fuel through two filters, the Goldenrod and the stock filter. The order of fuel passage was tank, FSV, Carrier pump, Goldenrod filter, stock filter, IP. I decided to keep the stock lift pump in place as a backup, so I could not alter those plastic lines. I used diesel rated rubber fuel line, and appropriate brass fittings as needed. I capped off/plugged the plastic line and left it in place. I kept any original fittings in the truck for ease of returning to stock out on the road. I made rinky-**** shields to protect things from the light duty road grunge.

This work very well under most conditions. I could cruise all day, flat and level. The problem came when I took the truck to my daughter's house. I had to turn around at a very tight uphill 180. To continue uphill would have required a 3 point turn. The result was that I went into the turn barely above an idle, went as far as I could, and backed up into a driveway, and started back downhill. The truck would stall at the end of that first turn. It just wasn't getting enough fuel at that engine speed on the steep slope.

I replaced the stock lift pump and returned to that system. The Carrier pump and Goldenrod filter are still mounted, and the rubber fuel line still in place, now as a backup. I can switch one to the other easily.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory connectors are called Bundy Connectors and there's two sizes. There's a number of sellers on Ebay and Amazon that sell both brass and nylon adapters to NPT and other types of threads.

There's also some links to the sellers in some recent discussions on here. Just search for bundy connectors in the search and you'll get the details.

scjarena

Reaction score
Bundy connectors. Cool, now I know what they are called, I see a bunch of varieties of fittings and connectors. Thanks