ELC coolant and idi's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You lose hoses and water pumps using water in your existing coolant, Dont include me with your experiences, I dont use WATER/H2O in my coolant, so I dont lose hoses or wipe out water pumps like you guys love to do...

Javier

Dude, chill. Hoses rot man... Doesn't matter what you got in there. Gasket's and o-rings don't always like being 20+ years old either.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, chill. Hoses rot man... Doesn't matter what you got in there. Gasket's and o-rings don't always like being 20+ years old either.

You must live far away from a auto part's store that has not restocked in 20 years.

Sorry to hear your troubles.

Javier

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Copper or Solder? Im not sure whats in OAT but it sure eats Solder. Infact our core manufacturers wont warranty a copper/soldered radiator if ANY long life coolant is used in it and it springs a leak.

I know for sure it eats copper but I can't say on the solder. I would be willing to bet that's what it is though. Most OATs use 2EHA. Peak global lifetime and Final Charge are the only ones I know of that don't.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must live far away from a auto part's store that has not restocked in 20 years.

Sorry to hear your troubles.

Javier

Just pointing out that eventually something will leak or fail no matter what is in it. I'm sure Evan's is good stuff but I just don't want to have to carry $320 worth of coolant just in case something fails going over the pass and no one has it sitting on a shelf. I like to be able to walk into a truck stop and grab a couple gallons of coolant when I'm on the road (It's convenient). Lot's of stuff can fail even at 7 psi - Just saying

Getting back to the point... For those that want to run ELC, most products will cause gasket failures because of the OAT formulation. To my knowledge Final Charge is the only typical ELC that meets 14603 and is okay for use in our engines. I've heard CAT ELC is okay too but I haven't researched it. Yes, you can use Evan's but it's out of the price range for most people that drive a truck that is 23 years old. The only reason I don't run SCA coolant is I don't like test strips and using additives (I use them at work every day and that's enough for me).

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap... My brother just got about 25 gallons of full strength coolant that was contaminated with ATF. We let it settle and pulled off the ATF from the top with oil clean up pads and I was planning to use it in my Motor Home... It says it is a OAT coolant on the barrel and it is bright florescent pink/orange....Crap. over 500.00 worth of coolant for free and I can't use it....crap...Big copper/Brass rad in the Motor Home.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pointing out that eventually something will leak or fail no matter what is in it. I'm sure Evan's is good stuff but I just don't want to have to carry $320 worth of coolant just in case something fails going over the pass and no one has it sitting on a shelf. I like to be able to walk into a truck stop and grab a couple gallons of coolant when I'm on the road (It's convenient). Lot's of stuff can fail even at 7 psi - Just saying

Getting back to the point... For those that want to run ELC, most products will cause gasket failures because of the OAT formulation. To my knowledge Final Charge is the only typical ELC that meets 14603 and is okay for use in our engines. I've heard CAT ELC is okay too but I haven't researched it. Yes, you can use Evan's but it's out of the price range for most people that drive a truck that is 23 years old. The only reason I don't run SCA coolant is I don't like test strips and using additives (I use them at work every day and that's enough for me).

Well that is a great reply and a great way to think, yet is it a few players short of a team.
Unless you run into offroad woodpiles or drive into forest making your own trails, or forget to tighten
all your worm clamps, or use used hoses from the JY, or have a leaky radiator you rather keep using,
or still skipping down the road with bad oil cooler seals, you may never need to purchase any EVANS coolant.

I would have to agree with your theology.

Me and a few of us here actually dont pratice those theories.
I plan on driving my truck anyplace USA and my truck is ready to go anyday I please.

I just have to keep banging the drum because some just cant see the light yet they claim they see stars.

The most important purchase you make after owning your vehicle is the fluids you purchase.

Some here do just fine changing oil every 3 weeks and coolant every other year, if you can afford it GREAT!
Is it the best way to maintain a vehicle? Maybe for some yes, Not for others.
Some would say they dont ever check coolant and use water and they have 350,000 miles on it. They SAY.

I am saying that everything you learned about green coolant or red from the auto part store wont help you
when you actually purchase the REAL DEAL.

I am @ 10,000 miles on my rebuilt 7.3 and I do not plan any oil change, I will take samples and kep driving.
It works for me just fine doing this.
I purchased EVANS because I hated
just in case something fails going over the pass and no one has it sitting on a shelf. I like to be able to walk into a truck stop and grab a couple gallons of coolant when I'm on the road (It's convenient). Lot's of stuff can fail even at 7 psi - Just saying

Just saying that will never happen to me, but you? it will still happen.

I use a 4psi cap that is all that is needed. Driving 80mph loaded with 8,000lbs enclosed trailer I can pull over 500 miles into the trip and pop open the radiator cap and stick my face on top of the open radiator and view coolant level. No matter how hot it gets.

You swear you will have problems, well your right, you have to eliminate all the other cooling issues you have not yet considered.

I solved all of mine and I added a $40 NAPA coolant filter.

I like driving better than fixing.

I never have to go into a convienence store to buy another bottle of coolant again.

I do have a half a gallon of EVANS in case any of the 3 other vehicles need it.

Javier

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the bottom line. Yes, Evans coolant is great. If I could afford to run it and thought it was a great investment for a 26 year old vehicle, I would run it. Most of us already know about it. We do not need some guy constantly pushing these products on us. It is annoying and nobody appreciates it. Last time I checked, it is a free country and one can do what he wants with his own vehicle.
Second point. Your water pump, hoses, etc. will eventually wear out and you will have to buy more precious Evans coolant if they fail when driving your vehicle. There is no doubt about that. And if their is a cooling failure while you are on the road, have fun buying that stuff because lots of places do not carry it. Simply put, they are considered "wear" items and they will go out. So be prepared to accept that. Repeat, you WILL have to eventually replace cooling system components if you plan on keeping your vehicle forever.
Third point. You do not gain more horsepower running that coolant. That would be like me saying the bugs hitting my windshield are ruining my mpg when going down the highway.
Fourth point. Evans does not have the same cooling affects that normal old antifreeze/water mix does. It does not efficiently disperse heat like water/antifreeze does. However, another benefit with Evans is there is zero rust, scale, buildup etc. However, my truck has had good old normal diesel coolant in it for the past 26 years and have not found any buildup in the system (yes I have taken it apart). Sure, you run much lower pressure in your system and that does have some benefits. However, I can also pop off my purge rad cap after towing heavy and won't get scalded with coolant...although there is no point in doing that so I don't do that.
Bottom line, one can do what he pleases with his own vehicle. Yes, Amsoil and Evans coolant is great stuff but don't let your passion for these products ruin your reputation on OB.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
You can get ELC at pretty much any truck stop these days.

Considering its good for 600K miles it could be considered lifetime fill in an IDI.

It has no silicates to fall out of suspension and plug the cooling system. Silicates also cause increased wear on the water pump bearings and seals so your water pump will last longer.

No need to check SCA levels witch is a big plus so the cooling system will always be protected from cavitation and there is no worries of overdosing the system with SCA.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Idiabuse: with all the products you recommend, why can't you keep your engine together? Amsoil and Evans really works? Your track record isn't very good.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is a great reply and a great way to think, yet is it a few players short of a team.
Unless you run into offroad woodpiles or drive into forest making your own trails, or forget to tighten
all your worm clamps, or use used hoses from the JY, or have a leaky radiator you rather keep using,
or still skipping down the road with bad oil cooler seals, you may never need to purchase any EVANS coolant.

I would have to agree with your theology.

Me and a few of us here actually dont pratice those theories.
I plan on driving my truck anyplace USA and my truck is ready to go anyday I please.

I just have to keep banging the drum because some just cant see the light yet they claim they see stars.

The most important purchase you make after owning your vehicle is the fluids you purchase.

Some here do just fine changing oil every 3 weeks and coolant every other year, if you can afford it GREAT!
Is it the best way to maintain a vehicle? Maybe for some yes, Not for others.
Some would say they dont ever check coolant and use water and they have 350,000 miles on it. They SAY.

I am saying that everything you learned about green coolant or red from the auto part store wont help you
when you actually purchase the REAL DEAL.

I am @ 10,000 miles on my rebuilt 7.3 and I do not plan any oil change, I will take samples and kep driving.
It works for me just fine doing this.
I purchased EVANS because I hated

Just saying that will never happen to me, but you? it will still happen.

I use a 4psi cap that is all that is needed. Driving 80mph loaded with 8,000lbs enclosed trailer I can pull over 500 miles into the trip and pop open the radiator cap and stick my face on top of the open radiator and view coolant level. No matter how hot it gets.

You swear you will have problems, well your right, you have to eliminate all the other cooling issues you have not yet considered.

I solved all of mine and I added a $40 NAPA coolant filter.

I like driving better than fixing.

I never have to go into a convienence store to buy another bottle of coolant again.

I do have a half a gallon of EVANS in case any of the 3 other vehicles need it.

Javier

Okay, seriously dude. No one is saying that Evan's isn't good stuff... Some of us just don't feel the need to spend that kind of money for coolant when other products work just as well. Friend of mine put 400,000 miles on a 7.3 idi running SCA coolant and the only failure during the life of the truck was one water pump. Nothing I posted was learned over the parts counter at NAPA. I've read all the Ford/International TSB's and talked to the manufacturers of the coolant. If I can buy 8 gallons of Final Charge for $80.xx and it works just fine then why would I go buy the Evan's product at four times the price? If the factory cooling system is working properly you will never have an overheating issue so the 375 degree boiling point is nice but unnecessary. Lifetime coolant, isn't that important to me because I don't really find flushing coolant every 3 years (6-8 years if you use the extender) to be all that annoying. While there is some potential for corrosion with 50/50 it'll never be a problem for those of us that flush the cooling system at the correct intervals... I still have the factory radiator in my truck (It was a dealer serviced rig before I bought it) and it looks like new along with the coolant passages in the block.

Some of us here actually use our trucks for their intended purpose working on farms or cutting firewood in the hills where there is a good chance of losing a hose or radiator. Let me tell you what... Evan's is some mighty expensive weed killer at that point. If I could afford to use Evan's I would but I bought a 23 year old truck for a reason and I have better things to spend my money on at this point like college tuition and, wait for it... Diesel, so I can drive the truck. Overpriced coolant vs. a month's worth of fuel? It's nice stuff but if I can't afford to put fuel in the truck it doesn't do me a lot of good.

Lastly, 10,000 miles on a rebuilt IDI and you haven't changed the oil yet? Unless you have an air filtration system and a separate areas in the shop where you did all of the work you absolutely must change the oil immediately. It isn't the stuff you can see that will ruin an engine because the oil filter will trap those particles after they go through the engine. I'm not sure what the micron rating is on oil filters for engines but I know it isn't that good even for those running the Powerstroke (LF3630) filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US