ELC coolant and idi's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that want to run extended life coolant in an idi Peak Final Charge meets Cummins 14603 and is approved for use with older gasket materials. I called Old World Industries to verify and the service department confirmed that it was okay to use with factory gaskets. I've been running it since February and no problems yet.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Yup its good stuff! Its one of the few to meet 14603 spec.

I intend to switch my IDI over when it no longer leaks coolant (junk radiator). I am running it in some other vehicles with good results.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this coolant is an OAT coolant and your running a copper radiator its going to eat through the solder regardless of what they say. No problem if running an aluminum radiater.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I've been running Caterpillar ELC (the blood-red stuff, not the orange Dex-Cool stuff) with a coolant filter for over 8 years now. Other than discovering that it'll eat through teflon tape, it's been working perfectly for me...all gaskets are happy, no problems with my copper radiator, and the inside of my cooling system's in great shape ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great till you lose a hose or water pump and you're out $$$$$$ because no one has it.
X2. I like the idea of the Evans coolant, but when you have a significant leak or failure far from home, you're in deep trouble...that by itself is enough to keep me from ever running it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard great things about Evans coolant, but like stated above, it is so darn expensive and not compatible with water which makes it not worth running in my truck. Good old diesel antifreeze with sca's will do the job just fine. I run supertech antifreeze with napakool sca additive and it works great IMO. I can't imagine what 8 gallons of Evans would even cost a guy to run in his rig

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVANS COOLANT only builds 4/7 psi so losing a hose becomes a NON ISSUE!
Again People speak without knowledge, what do you call that type of person?
Answer that yourself...

Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard great things about Evans coolant, but like stated above, it is so darn expensive and not compatible with water which makes it not worth running in my truck. Good old diesel antifreeze with sca's will do the job just fine. I run supertech antifreeze with napakool sca additive and it works great IMO. I can't imagine what 8 gallons of Evans would even cost a guy to run in his rig
Owning 8 gallons of coolant will be much cheaper than the practice you stated.
I wont have to worry about adding SCAs
I wont have to worry about boilover
I wont have to worry about blown hose
I wont lose any coolant due to evaporation of H20
I wont have corrosion building in my cooling system.
I will have better engine performance
I will gain better MPG
I will be driving my truck many more miles than you.

You will be maintaining your cooling system I will be driving to
the store to get you replacement parts.

I already spent less money than you did.
Even at $40 a gallon.

Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great till you lose a hose or water pump and you're out $$$$$$ because no one has it.

You lose hoses and water pumps using water in your existing coolant, Dont include me with your experiences, I dont use WATER/H2O in my coolant, so I dont lose hoses or wipe out water pumps like you guys love to do...

Javier

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No 2EHA in it to eat the copper.

Copper or Solder? Im not sure whats in OAT but it sure eats Solder. Infact our core manufacturers wont warranty a copper/soldered radiator if ANY long life coolant is used in it and it springs a leak.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idiabuse, I think it is time to stop bashing the people that do not use the products that you consistently preach about on this forum. It is getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online