EGT Limit for Banks Sidewinder Temp

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanting to get a clear answer...

What is the maximum safe EGT for a truck equipped with the Banks Sidewinder turbo kit, with the temp sensor in the factory Banks location?

Thank you,

Mike

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I’ll weigh in with 1050° sustained with the probe in the stock banks location. JMHO

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the stock Banks location for the thermocouple?

FWIW, as a general rule, I say 1250° pre-turbo and 1000° post-turbo. That's intermittent; for a sustained run, I'd go with Rob's answer pre-turbo and 900° post-turbo...

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
it's pre turbo, but quite a ways down stream from the manifold. Ken @ DPS was saying that they saw about a 200° diff between the banks location, and the exhaust manifold.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yipes!

How far downstream?

I ask because ATS put the thermocouple bung on the exhaust casting on the turbo itself. It's on the up-pipe side, but this puts it a good ways away from the manifold...and I'm wondering if the resulting numbers will be similar to the Banks location, or if the difference may be even more drastic?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
In The E here is what I did...

would tickle 1150ish when pulling a hill and would run all day long at 900. I had gone over 1200 on occasion but I didn't hang out there for more than a second or so. Short bursts that go above the magical 1200° are ok because it takes a little bit before the heat actually soaks into anything. In all the engines I killed none of them showed signs of overheating because of combustion temps. I'm a firm beliver that banks set the temp that you could run all day long hours on end because they have to put a warranty behind their product and it would not be good for their product to meltdown an engine if you followed their guidelines... that would a be very sticky situation for them to be in.

So I always pretty much looked at the 1050 as all day long temps and would blow right past them when pulling a hill without a second thought.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Yipes!

How far downstream?

I ask because ATS put the thermocouple bung on the exhaust casting on the turbo itself. It's on the up-pipe side, but this puts it a good ways away from the manifold...and I'm wondering if the resulting numbers will be similar to the Banks location, or if the difference may be even more drastic?

its in the cast up pipe on the banks system, shown as #31 here. The turbo bolts to the rectangle with the stud in it.

Attachments

• pyro probe.JPG
    pyro probe.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, okay...looks like about the same place as ATS put it (at least in relation to the turbo), so the numbers should be similar...

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
argve said:
So I always pretty much looked at the 1050 as all day long temps and would blow right past them when pulling a hill without a second thought.

This reminds me of a ‘must know’ formula that needs to be referenced whenever talking about limits of an engine.

Comfortable limit = x
What Travis said =y

Formula:
x=y*.7

This works for all the performance based limits, as in :
EGTs, RPMs, Water Injection, NOS, LPG, boost, etc…
:rotflmao ;Poke

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F350camper said:
Comfortable limit = x
What Travis said =y

Formula:
x=y*.7

This works for all the performance based limits, as in :
EGTs, RPMs, Water Injection, NOS, LPG, boost, etc…
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

BTW, for comparison, here is where the thermocouple goes on (at least my) ATS...

Attachments

• thermocouple location.jpg
    thermocouple location.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 30

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Here is what Hypermax tech support told me for my non pulse system. With the thermocouple in the threaded port provided in their RH up pipe I could run at 1250 "all day long". The port is about 3" from the exhaust manifold. I cannot get it any where near that hot with the pump turned up 2 1/2 flats.

Jim

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering.... has anyone ever had a meltdown? How hot and for how long was it? And if you melt a piston will the engine still run or will the "dead hole" be enough to shut the engine down?

pafixitman

Reaction score
I can lug my engine while empty and tickle 1100!!!

My pyro is mounted about where the circled number 7 is in Tim's ATS pic.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
Just wondering.... has anyone ever had a meltdown? How hot and for how long was it? And if you melt a piston will the engine still run or will the "dead hole" be enough to shut the engine down?

I've had a meltdown....(and one in my truck too!!)

I believe the P/O had a turbo on the truck, and then pulled it before selling it to me. (There was a pyro gauge, but no thermocouple in the exhaust, so it never worked)

I didn't know anything about these trucks then, and so I just drove it, and the pump was probably turned way up for the turbo.

It lasted about 3 months till I pulled my 23ft. TT. Started running rougher and within about 2 days and about 50 miles, it got worse, till finally one day sitting at a intersection it just blew. Started "woofing" like mad out the exhaust, filled the whole intersection with White smoke which was coming out of every seal,crack and joint on the engine, and barely made it the couple blocks home.

I pulled the heads, and one piston was split right in half. Couple others had melted edges at the top, and a couple had the rings melted into their grooves. So, I threw in new pistons, rings, bearings, and put 'er all back together. I put in a pyro, and found that I was up over 1200deg in a jiffy at about 3/4 throttle with hardly any load on. So, I ended up turning down the pump(about 3 flats) and it now runs fine, and I've put about 60thousand more miles on it since then. I now run 1100(3" from the manifold) at full throttle full load.

Zigg :)