EGT Differences

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I have installed an Auber Instruments dual readout meter and matching EGT probes immediately behind the last cylinders on each manifold. Passenger side is running 100°F cooler than drivers side. Highest temp observed on drivers side at warmed-up idle was 329°F, passenger 230°F. Two questions- do either of the temps sound appropriate, and does anyone else run dual probes and see a 100° variance?

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive checked temps with ir laser and they were consistant all around engine at 250°f

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could have a worn injector or 2 that are squirting a bit more fuel, which would show higher egts on that side.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
You could have a worn injector or 2 that are squirting a bit more fuel, which would show higher egts on that side.

Yes, that's what came to mind immediately- but I REALLY don't want to think that because they are freshly rebuilt and only have maybe 1500 miles on them... I know- the rebuilder could have just cleaned them up and charged me..
What do other folks get for warm idle temps?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont 7-8 fire consecutively ? Is this not why the probe is usually placed here ( hottest point in the system)???
I may be wrong.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what came to mind immediately- but I REALLY don't want to think that because they are freshly rebuilt and only have maybe 1500 miles on them... I know- the rebuilder could have just cleaned them up and charged me..
What do other folks get for warm idle temps?

I know how you feel. Got 4 out of the 8 Delphi injectors from my rig rebuilt even though they had 10k miles on them. About 20 miles later, one of the rebuilt sticks failed, causing a ticking sound and smoking at idle. Put a bwd as a temporary to cure problem for now until I replace them. Idles like crap but at least noise is gone lol.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you look at the drivers side manifold you will see the neck where it turns down to leave the heads is narrowed a bit. If I saw the differences you are seeing I would swap the probes and gauges. See if the passenger side runs hotter now. Our idi exhaust manifolds are very different from side to side. The drivers side sweeps upwards from the head and then turns down in a narrow area. The passenger side sweeps downwards from the head and it a much smoother non narrowing exit compared to the drivers side. Reason the drivers side sweeps upwards is the oil cooler needs that clearance. Its really too bad we can't run the van drivers side manifold on our trucks. Its turn at the end is much easier and better flowing. The passenger side is common to both trucks and vans. They use the same manifold.... You posted about the same temps I see on idle warmup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Staff online