Early 6.9 Cooling Jets

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In the early 6.9 motors the piston oil cooling jets are pressed in. When they are pressed in Rotunda made an alignment tool so they are installed properly. How important is this tool and does anyone have said tool? I know a member that needs the tool. Are the jets still available from Ford or International. Thanks...

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I think the jets are still available but are spendy. The tool is probably not available to buy but if you have a friendly local machine shop that does any sort of volume they probably have one you can use/rent. From what I have gleaned, it is a must have because of the possibility of misalignment or bending when they are installed. Either is bad.

obinella

Reaction score
the number three shaft bearing on the turbo jet engines i worked on in the military had a oil nozzle that had to be aligned with a special tool that we didn't have. so one of us would blow smoke through the lines while another would adjust the nozzle.

edit: i didn't think it was necessary to explain that this method could be used in the same way to align the piston cooling nozzles.

Last edited: