E4OD Slow 2-3 Upshift

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
So I've poked around various forums and I can't find anything that I think matches my condition, but I'm sure it's not anything new. My E4OD on my 1994 simply has a long, slow 2-3 upshift. 1-2 is normal feeling, 3-4(OD) is normal. From 2-3, it's like the converter unlocks again but the trans shifts, and then stays unlocked for 3-5 seconds until it locks again and brings the RPM's completely down. Truck is still pretty new to me, driven it 1000 miles or so. Trans filter & fluid is on the to-do list for the next few weeks, before really cold/winter hits.

I haven't checked my FIPL voltage yet. I need to do that regardless, but this seems to be isolated to the 2-3 shift, so I don't forsee it helping this specifically.

Any ideas? Slow/sticky valve?

Thanks

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the converter should never lock up in 2nd gear.so if it feels like the converter unlocks again to shift into 3rd,then Huston we have a problem.

Attachments

• test drive.JPG
    test drive.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 42

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is the fluid level when hot? You don't have lockup until 2-3 up shift. Check connector at the side of the trans, SS1 controls 2-3 upshift. Check for a code 59. Manually shift from 1-2 and 2-3, see if it shifts ok then. MLPS might be out of adjustment.

jhenegh

Reaction score
the converter should never lock up in 2nd gear.so if it feels like the converter unlocks again to shift into 3rd,then Huston we have a problem.

Ok then my lingo is probably the problem :dunno

Narrative on my acceleration:

Starting from a stop, give her gas and accelerate nicely through 1st, hit about 2k RPM and it shifts smooth/quick to 2nd. Keep motoring along and hit 2k RPM again and the 1ST PART OF THE SHIFT TO 3RD is a soft little 100-200 rpm drop. (if you give a little more gas here, the RPM's just go up before speed actually increases, like an unlocked converter) So we're motoring along in this 1ST part of the 2-3 upshift and go for 3-5 seconds, gain about 5MPH, and then the 2ND PART OF THE SHIFT is a clear 200-400 RPM decrease to what ends up being the gear held until the normal 3-4 upshift and on out to whatever the desired speed is.

Those words clear as mud?

I'll start checking connections and researching all these danged E4OD acronyms FIPL SS1 MLPS TECA ***! LOLLOLcookoo

Thanks

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think your just not familiar with the trans is all.it sounds like its working correctly.
hop in your truck and see if it does this exactly:

place trans in D and drive (your in first gear now.)

feel your first shift.this is the trans entering 2nd gear.

next you'll feel your 2nd shift.this is the trans entering 3rd gear.

right after the trans has entered 3rd (the second shift you felt) gear (as long as your not hammering on her) you'll feel a semi shift.this is the converter locking up.as noted the rpms may not drop as much here as it did with a gear shift.

lastly (after that semi shift you felt/converter locking) you'll feel the trans entering it's final gear- 4th (OD.)

now step on the accelerator like you mean it,and the trans converter should immediately unlock and drop down to 3rd or perhaps even 2nd (depending on your speed) and pull the truck forward with authority.once up to speed/low engine load again,the converter should lock back up and the trans will enter od again.

edit,
and yes in stock form when the converter locks it is drawn out.they made it engage this way because most drivers prefer an easy shifting trans.it requires front pump removal and modification to make converter lock much more instant.so converter lock is acting accordingly to oem specs there too.

Last edited:

jhenegh

Reaction score
^^^^^^ Yep that's what my truck does. Adjusted the FIPL to 1.22-4.08V this weekend and it shifts firmer everywhere (as expected) (was 1.07V at idle). I guess that just is the nature of the beast for the converter. Not my favorite feeling but I'm not going to pull it out yet. I'll be putting in a trans temp gauge within the month to keep a better eye on it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for info. On a smooth acceleration from a stopped position to lets say 40 MPH. 1st to 2nd = 12-13 MPH --- 2nd to 3rd= 27 MPH (TC locks up)---3rd to OD can be at 37-40 MPH. In City driving, I make mine shift into OD at 37 MPH by just letting up on the Go peddle for an instant, makes for better fuel milage. That's of course with the tranny fluid warm.