E4od shifting hard

94crewcabIDI

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I just bought a 1997 f350 2wd cclb dually. The transmission is shifting hard in all gears. And it's as if the torque converter isn't locking correctly when I try to maintain a higher speed (50 or over) it's got brand new atf the amount of quarts the manual says to have. Trucks runs great and I really just want it to shift good too. Also the aluminum flatbed is for sale if anyone is near NW Ohio

You must be registered for see images attach

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
First thing I would check is your brake lights,including the cab high mount brake light. A burnt bulb or bad ground can mess with your Torque Converter, believe it or not.Then I would look at the VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor, mounted on top of your rear Diff. Clean up plug connector( spray contact cleaner)also do plug on the passenger side of Transmission. I had to have my Gauge Cluster repaired by Cluster Fix,this can also mess with your Transmission.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also have to have your Tach working correctly, sender is mounted on IP gear housing. Your tranny is in so called limp mode, if you run it very long like that you'll burn it up. Forget about the TC lockup, it will be OK after you get the tranny shifting right.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You also have to have your Tach working correctly, sender is mounted on IP gear housing. Your tranny is in so called limp mode, if you run it very long like that you'll burn it up. Forget about the TC lockup, it will be OK after you get the tranny shifting right.
I hope his PSD doesn't have one of those. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

94crewcabIDI

Reaction score
First thing I would check is your brake lights,including the cab high mount brake light. A burnt bulb or bad ground can mess with your Torque Converter, believe it or not.Then I would look at the VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor, mounted on top of your rear Diff. Clean up plug connector( spray contact cleaner)also do plug on the passenger side of Transmission. I had to have my Gauge
Cluster repaired by Cluster Fix,this can also mess with your Transmission.

I will check the light today. my tach only works half the time

94crewcabIDI

Reaction score
First thing I would check is your brake lights,including the cab high mount brake light. A burnt bulb or bad ground can mess with your Torque Converter, believe it or not.Then I would look at the VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor, mounted on top of your rear Diff. Clean up plug connector( spray contact cleaner)also do plug on the passenger side of Transmission. I had to have my Gauge Cluster repaired by Cluster Fix,this can also mess with your Transmission.
Well i got the third brake light fixed

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can try replacing the map sensor.
But the trans could be the reason they got rid of it.
Maybe try pulling the codes.

94crewcabIDI

Reaction score
You can try replacing the map sensor.
But the trans could be the reason they got rid of it.
Maybe try pulling the codes.

My edge evolution tuner says map sensor isn't getting correct voltage and pcm memory or something. But when i went to oreilly before it got 0 codes from engine or tranny

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's because the parts store readers won't talk to these trucks. I would go with what the edge says.
So yeah, I would try replacing the MAP sensor.

94crewcabIDI

Reaction score
That's because the parts store readers won't talk to these trucks. I would go with what the edge says.
So yeah, I would try replacing the MAP sensor.

I took the map sensor off of my Fathers 7.3 and put it on my truck. It still threw that code. My Fathers truck does not throw that code though. so my plug or my wiring is messed up on my Truck