E4OD Flexplate Failures

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Hi guy's, I was curious if anyone else is having failures with the stock (Ford) flexplates?

I have had to replace 3 flexplates in 3 different trucks this year (IDI/E4OD) and when I went to start my truck today, the infamous noise appeared and I limped it back to my shop:puke:

Thank god I just put that trans in a month ago so I know the bolts and exhaust will drop easy:mad:

I am really curious if I am the only one who has this constant problem.

Also, is there anyone here running an aftermarket upgraded flexplate? Do they even exist?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I had a heavy heavy flexplate in my 91 7.3/e4od. solid cast iron and it never gave me a problem even though the trans did.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those heavy cst iron flexplates and the thin stamped flex plate part of them are no longer available. I bought the last thin plate Ford had in inventory 4 years ago... I did a nationwide search for it. I found one on ebay and bought that kit too... nobody else bid on it so.... Give BTS in leadhill arkansas a calll. They have a nice flex plate that comes with their E4OD trans. The triple disc converter they use is so large you need their flexplate... I was running the heavy cast iron plate. I did try to test fit the converter just to se if they were selling me "something".... Yeap... They were telling me the truth. Are you finding your bellhousing alingment dowls in place when you remove the trans. Also what about that crank spacer. What kind of condition is it in. This time when you remove it use some 300 grit wet and dry paper and a piece of glass or mirror to sand flat any burrs or rust on it. Maybe a flat smooth fileon the plate side will clean up and inperfections. Sounds like you have something out of alingment at the crank....

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have a thin flexplate setting here as we speak, im trying to sell it, i will sell it very cheap just make me an offer, it looks new, i need rid of it i need the money really bad

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bill... Any heavy cast iron flexplate will function fine of any 6.9 or 7.3 engine but they will not fit with a triple disc converter. those require a single flexplate setup.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Bill... Any heavy cast iron flexplate will function fine of any 6.9 or 7.3 engine but they will not fit with a triple disc converter. those require a single flexplate setup.

There are multi disk converters available, that will fit the old flex plate/ flywheel.:D

BTS uses a PI converter with a larger diameter. So he requires the later tin flex plate.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats the setup BTS sold me to fit the triple disc converter they use... the stock converter has 25 square inches of friction material and the BTS triple disc converter has 150 square inches of friction material... I can't wear it out with my tiny little idi horse power...:eek::angel:

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thats the setup BTS sold me to fit the trople disc converter they use... the stock converter has 25 square inches od friction material and the BTS triple disc converter has 150 square inches of friction material... I can't wear it out with my tiny little idi horse power...:eek::angel:

You will break the engine before the converter or tranny fails.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online