E4OD and PTO

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the 10 lug wheels you will not be able to get any lower than the 5/13 gears. It goes up from there to 5.63 I think... ..

Available Dana 80 gear ratios.....3.23, 3.31, 3.54, 3.73, 4.10, 4.11, 4.30, 4.63, 4.88, 5.13, & 5.38....at least according to a Google search.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the weight of my truck would i be better off to install a zf6 and change the rearend gears to 3.73's or a zf5 and keep the same gears which i was told are 5.13's. I like the idea of the 6spd and new gears because my fuel mileage would go up. Also, short of pulling the cover off and counting teeth how can i tell what gears are in my rear end?

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I installed a zf6 with a lower gear to start out in why wouldnt 3.73's work? Would it create too much load at highway speeds?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wont ever leave 4th gear that way and will be lugging the heck out of the #16K beast. Like said 4.10's are as high as you want to go, 4.30's would be great imo.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. My truck has 16's so i dont think it is a 450. the ttitle says its a 350

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The F-Superduty had 16" wheels and tires so that is not a tell tale of what you have. If it is a superduty, you will have a 2wd monobeam front end that uses leaf springs, 10 lug rims; hydroboost, rear disc brakes and a separate emergency brake attached to the rear of the transmission. If I am correct, 4:88 and 5:13's are the common gears for the rig and a Dana 80 is indeed used. The gross vehicle weight rating is in the neighborhood of 14,500lbs.

An F350 on the other hand will have a twin I beam front end that is coil sprung in the OP's 2wd configuration, 8 lug rims, vacuum assisted brakes, rear drums with the traditional E-brake set up, and most likely come with 4:10's. F 350's GVWR should be in the 10-12,500 range depending on how it was optioned.

The title should be a good indication of what the truck is, however, a better look at the hardware will be the true tell tale of what we are dealing with. You may have an F350 that had an F-Superduty rear axle swapped into it, giving you 8 lugs on the front and 10 lugs on the rear. Also, as Calvin has attested to, the Superdutys are a mean animal and can literally tear the sheetmetal apart so it is possible that an F350 cab has been transplanted on a 450 chassis.

With the weight that you are carrying, I would leave the 5:13 gears alone and hope it's a 450/Superduty, especially if you are toting a trailer behind a 15,000lb truck. My F350 grossed 15-16,000lbs towing a toyhauler to the rally and back, I wanted more than the 4:10's had to offer. I would go to 4:56's if I were towing on a regular basis. Also remember, the 5:13 gear set is allowing your transmission, engine and driveshafts to live an easier life. These engines were designed and tested to run on the governor, they aren't too keen to being lugged around.

Please dig into your rig a bit more to see what we are really dealing with. As for your gear set: mark your tire with a piece of chalk and do the same with the drive shaft. Get in your truck and go forward enough for the tire to go one complete rotation and have your helper count how many times the drive shaft goes around. A bit more than 4 times would be 4:10's, 4 and a half times would be 4:56's, a hair over 5 times will be 5:13's. Good luck and keep us posted.;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Please dig into your rig a bit more to see what we are really dealing with. As for your gear set: mark your tire with a piece of chalk and do the same with the drive shaft. Get in your truck and go forward enough for the tire to go one complete rotation and have your helper count how many times the drive shaft goes around. A bit more than 4 times would be 4:10's, 4 and a half times would be 4:56's, a hair over 5 times will be 5:13's. Good luck and keep us posted.;Sweet

I take it the "helper" should be someone you don't like?!?
Or does one lay on a creeper and hold onto the frame?

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all of that being said my truck is deffinately a 350 and right now it runs off the gov. Thanks for all the help if you saw my other post i am totaly new to these diesels and fords overall. I see you have been a member for a long time do you know any members near St.Louis or So IL

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I take it the "helper" should be someone you don't like?!?
Or does one lay on a creeper and hold onto the frame?

If you have someone you are not too keen of..........

Just kidding.:eek:LOL A big bold mark of chalk on the drive shaft should be easy to count as you watch the tire go around as well.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean. I dont have a problem doing the work I would just like some one nearby i can have give me a few pointers. Thats actually what i do everyday is work on equipment. I am not very old but learned really Quick that there are a lot of ways of doing things and that time is valuable. So if someone i know can help me out that has done something before i will ask them how to do it versus me fumbling through it and risk messing something up or doing it wrong

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He was talking to me. Lol

That's roughly eight feet depending on tire size.

What happened to the lift one tire and spin by hand method?
(Never done it myself, hasn't been needed) I use online gear ratio calculators. Input rpm at selected speed, tire size, and transmission gear ratio. And wallah.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
What do you mean. I dont have a problem doing the work I would just like some one nearby i can have give me a few pointers. Thats actually what i do everyday is work on equipment. I am not very old but learned really Quick that there are a lot of ways of doing things and that time is valuable. So if someone i know can help me out that has done something before i will ask them how to do it versus me fumbling through it and risk messing something up or doing it wrong

There are many guys that have known each other for years by now and enjoy a bit of humor from time to time. I am sure nothing negative was meant towards you. I do not know who may live in your area. There is a member list that you can scroll down and see where everybody lives but that would take a bunch of time to do. The board is open 24-7 and you can usually have answers in a matter of minutes if the time of day is right. Many guys are very helpful here and will answer questions in a PM, private message, and exchange phone numbers so you can have a talk and sort out complicated issues.

I will try to locate some F-Superduty's and see what kind of price they bring. They are not as desirable as most do not need a truck that heavy. Based on the near 16,000lb gross weight you are at, the F450 would be a minimum for your application.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online