E4DOA 2 ZF-5 Swap Questions?

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
March was a crazy month and I wasn't around here too much. I was struggling to get sleep let alone time to get on the net, but oh well I am back now. Many of you have heard my rants and raves about the problems, with the E4DOA tranny in the 1993 F-250 4x4 7.3 IDI that I bought in Feb. I had originally planned on rebuilding the tranny, b/c a ZF-5 swap was going to be too costly. Just as I was getting ready to pull the tranny and send it out to be rebuilt, I came across what I hope is going to be the deal of a century for me.

My buddy has a towing bussiness, and has a zf-5 complete that he bought for one of his trucks he no longer has. He told me and we compared the e4d0as, the tranny from a tow-truck and the 4x4 tranny are the same, except where the transfer case goes on the 4x4 there is a pto on the tow truck. Does that sound right, and will I need a different drive shaft, like I have heard I might need? If so does anyone have one lying around?

He is willing to trade me the zf-5 for the e4doa when I get it rebuilt by the p/o of the truck. He also has the complete pedal and master cylinder set up for one of his gas tow trucks that he will trade me for the automtic pedal assembly from my truck. He says the gas clutch pedal setup and master cylinder are the same as the diesel. Is this true?

So from the looks of it I only need to find a shifter for the zf-5, the plate that goes on the the floor pan, and the shifter boot. Is there anything I am forgeting? Does anyone have any of these parts laying around they want to donate or sell me cheap?

I know that I need to get a fly wheel for it, but doesn't the luk or napa clutch kit come with a flywheel? The orignal clutch kit from autozone for the dual mass flywheel comes with the slave cylinder, does that kit come with one too? What is the best clutch kit for towing and hauling, and plowing, b/c that is what this truck is going to be used for?

My last issue is, wiring / computer. I know how much computer control is involved with the e4doa I spent the last month trying clear codes and work on it hoping it was not the tranny itself, but it is. I thought or was told that the e4doa computer controls the motor somewhat as well. So will I need to find a different computer or anything. And what about wiring, is it plug and play or do I need to splice and trace?

Thanks for any and all help you guys.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the swap on my 94, the zf5 is 5.5" shorter so you may need to lengthen your driveshaft. As for the wiring you can either take the shift positon sensor off the e4od and plug it back into the wiring harness in the park positon or find the right wires and connect them permenantly. One of those needs to be done for the truck to start again. Nothing has to be done to any computer stuff. As for the floor plate, you can just cut a hole in the one you have.

-Rob

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
You may also need a pilot bearing. I really don't know but if you do, you might have to machine the crankshaft.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
I did this swap to my wife's 94. ;Sweet The drive shaft for the ZF5 will need to be longer. The crossmember fron the E4DOA will not work for the ZF5. I milled and welded in an inserted extension to my E4OD crossmember and used it but everyone doesn't have access to the machines that I do. The Luk or NAPA flywheel/clutch kit will come with a pilot bearing and a throw out bearing. You will not have to machine the crank shaft. You will have to remove the end spacer from the crank shaft. After you remove the flywheel/flexplate the spacer will slide off. See my sig for the wiring information and pinouts. You will also need a clutch pedal position sensor. The wiring for this is all ready in your truck. It will have a jumper plug on it with the E4OD. When you change to the ZF5 you just by the clutch pedal position sensor, snap it on, remove the jumper plug and plug that harness into the sensor. Neutral safety will work and cruise will dissengage when the clutch pedal is pressed.
See sig for more notes.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple things, I can't tell which truck you have in your pic. If you are planning on pushing snow with this truck, you are best to stay with the automatic.

Since the ZF5 trans we are talking about is for a tow truck, I'll assume it's for an F450 / F550. The thing on the back of the trans is probably a driveshaft brake which is not used on lighter trucks. Most newer tow trucks have an engine driven hydraulic pump rather than a PTO driven one.

The trans is *probably* a 4x4 trans. You can tell by seeing how far the tailshaft comes out the back of the trans. A 2WD tailshaft would stick out quite a bit further.

If I can be of any help, give me a call - 440-327-6408 Jason

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The F450 trans and the F250/350 4X4 trans is the same animal.
The wiring is plug and play outside of the clutch safety switch. I bypass mime.
your pedal assy and clutch hyd is also plug and play.
Crossmember you will have fun finding.
Driveshafts will have to lengthed/shortened accordingly.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
the guy at napa said the only conversion kit he had was a zoom clutch kit and it was $1500, i work at autozone and I think i can order the luk clutch kit if I have the part number that i need. also anyone have that crossmember? and anyone heard of the centerforce clutchs they have a conversion kit that i saw in diesel power magazine

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
firemedicmonkey said:
the guy at napa said the only conversion kit he had was a zoom clutch kit and it was $1500,

I got my clutch kit from NAPA for about $500.00. It included the clutch plate, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, all bolts needed and an allignment tool. I didn't have to buy anything else that goes between the engine and transmission.