E40D Tps/Fipl adjustment wont go below 1.58

babyblueford

Reaction score
I've been readin all the articles i can on adjusting these, and i cant seem to get it to go lower than 1.58 volts at idle.
Its not shifting well at all with this, and i really dont want this transmission burning up prematurely.
Any suggestions or help are greatly appreciated
Thank you

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Have you tried getting a new FIPL, also you may have to move the bracket it mounts too, if overtime it has come loose and moved.

Once you get the bracket in place close where you afre in range, you can fine tune the FIPL with the mounting bolts. Hope this makes sense.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What wire are you testing the voltage from? You need the center wire and that color is green. Truck needs to be warmed up so the fast idle is off. Or remove the power wire to the fast idle solenoid and adjust voltage on the tps with a cold engine. both ways work fine. If your tps switch has 50,000 miles or more on it then it needs to be replaced.

babyblueford

Reaction score
Its black, but i replaced it less than a year ago, way less than 50,000 miles. Thing was the guy who helped me replace it says they "came tuned how they need to be" so he made no adjustements/ didnt know anything about that.. I'm testing from the middle wire and the numbers go up as i move the throttle so i assume its the right one. I'm pretty sure the engines been warm enough to be off fast idle, but ill double check in the morning.

babyblueford

Reaction score
Have you tried getting a new FIPL, also you may have to move the bracket it mounts too, if overtime it has come loose and moved.

Once you get the bracket in place close where you afre in range, you can fine tune the FIPL with the mounting bolts. Hope this makes sense.

Do you mean to take the FIPL off completely and move the bracket?
I've been adjusting how all the forums seem to say. Loosening the bigger star bolts and trying to move it to get the numbers right, and fine tuning with the smaller bolts, With a voltometer going to the middle wire. It all seems right, except i just cant get idle lower than 1.58.
Maybe ill try replacing it just incase it was somehow bad, or the guy who helped put it in wrong? I really didnt know what i was looking at back then so its hard to say

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it’s installed correctly, so if you use all the adjustment and it won’t go into spec you need a new fipl. Could have been dropped during installation

gandalf

Reaction score
I think there might also be the possibility that the gear tower was removed at some time and replaced improperly. It might be one tooth off. That would make everything much more difficult.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That appears to be installed correctly and has plenty of adjustment. Those star bolts are the ONLY bolts needed to adjust this switch. To insure the fast idle is turned off when the engine is warm just remove the wire to the idle solenoid. Then it will not matter warmed or cold. The voltage will be the same as the results.