Dyno numbers

Max Power

Reaction score
What does a stock 6.5TD dyno?

What kind of modified #'s are you guys seeing?

MUDDY

Reaction score
highest 6.5 at bdogs event was over 240. suposably just pump mods and ex/air mods. june of 03

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck put down 175 rwhp and 211 with propane. I have a 4in exhaust and a Amsoil filter

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I've really done is exhaust, K&N filter and a shift kit, and my truck feels wicked strong. It seems to me if I did all the rest of the mods out there I'd be higher than what I'm seeing. I think its as fast as a fuel injected gas job, pretty fast for having no horsepower. I can't wait for the drags to open again so I can try it. I went over before I did any mods at the last street night of the season, but there was 500 rice burners there and I didnt want to wait 4 hours.

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, I have run my truck a few times. It is slow but very consistant. I did 3 runs back to back at Epping and ran 18.1 and removed the lid to the air box and dropped to 18 flat. I have a propane system but it was not working so next year I will run it again. I am getting a reflash on the ECM in January so it should be much better.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somebody else (or maybe it was you elsewhere) told me they did 18.1 with propane. What configuration is your truck? mines a 4x4 ex-cab dually, I'm told it probably has 4:56 gears. I'd love to know how much faster it would be with propane, because I'm tempted to do it. Who do you like for the ECM? I'm saving up for one now, but its slow going with a new mouth to feed and regular repairs to the truck that come before mods. I live right down the street from New England Dragway, we'll have to keep in touch, let me know when your gonna come up and run it.
by the way, what is a PS2000?

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, I have a 2500 ex cab short bed. It's a heavy duty one with the 8 lug axles. I am going with Bill Heath for the ECM. He is great to deal with and knows his stuff. The PS2000 is a propane system. Will do about the dragway.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew I had heard of the PS2000 somewhere before, just couldnt place it. I almost bought one on Ebay last month for $400. I thought better of it because Christmas was coming. I've also pretty much decided to go with Heath for the ECM. I emailed him about the Turbomaster the other day and he was actually gracious enough to respond and gave me a bunch of good info.

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have his Turbo Master in my tool box, just need to install it. He is a great guy to deal with. Plenty of info.
I paid a little more than $400 for my PS2000 from the Greg the Amsoil guy on another site.

Dodgeman101

Sled ******
Reaction score
People actually dyno a 6.5 td ?? wow but seriously how much boost do you see stock and with what ever mods what is the max boost the "Chevy Diesel Gods" recommend? Any one ever think about a blower?? I am the not so proud owner of a 6.2 and it needs a kick in the butt, but I want to keep the sweet dual exhaust pipe music so a turbo is out of the question.

Dodgeman101

rubberfish

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek:
I guess you've forgotten the pos 92 dodge that made 126 rwhp
Go Dodge, and take the Fords with you:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

rubberfish

Reaction score
I'm just razzing ya man:)
Us guy's with 6.5's know they don't make huge power,
but that body style sure rides nice:)
Stock, I think they're around 9 lbs, they'll hold together at up to 20 lbs, but at that point you're just pumping more hot air into the motor, since GM thought an intercooler wasn't neccesary-cuss
There are a few ways to achieve those kind of boost levels.

Dodgeman101

Sled ******
Reaction score
Have ya ever heard of a blower?? on a 6.2 or 6.5?? with some modifaction I would like to try to mate a blower with the non egr intake manifold. The only reason I bought the chevy truck was for the sweet music it can and does make with dual exhaust. I would think that 20 psi of boost would make it run a little better.
I was always puzzled why GM never tryed to make the 6.2 or 6.5 any better power wise ie lack of intercooler and what not. I am sure there isn't worlds of untaped power but there is lot of room for improvement and still keep it in one peace.

Dodgeman101

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually.... Whipple makes one for 6.5 hummers.... I'll bet it could be modified to fit in the pickups. BUT..... 6.5's pistons arent cooled.... and thats a fairly insumountable problem... Too much heat, and you'll pour your pistons out the drain plug... I've heard of Marine Pistons w/ ceramic tops, cam, BOMBED pump, and shower head injectors, but with all that, it could only muster 300rwhp and change...

I love the 1989-1999 Chevy Trucks- that was quite a classic body style and did ride good (My last truck was a 89 K2500 350cid/700R4). I wonder if the ride would be effected much with a #1100 pound ISB sitting in the snout... I think my 6.2 weighed in at #800 or so...:) :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online