Dyno My Truck for Information Only?

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Brothers,

I see another Dyno day at Dillsburg, PA this October. I'm thinking about putting my truck up to see what she's got. I'm mostly interested in knowing what she is now, compared to what she will be after I do a Ken's pump and injectors. Can the old girl take it? Is this a wise thought?

Thanks,
John

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see a reason not to...to my knowledge, dyno runs don't actually damage the truck, unless you do something wrong or have the power turned WAYYY up... But, I've never witnessed a dyno run, so I can't comment with authority. That said, I think it's simple common sense...

I actually wish I had dyno'ed my truck before putting the turbo on...would have been nice to see before/after numbers. Of course, I still don't know what sort of power I'm putting out...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Running them on the rollers does not damage the engine...

It basically goes like this.

1st they strap the truck to the ground with the rear wheels centered on the rollers.

2nd they have you start the truck then get her up in to gear (use a 1:1 gear ratio gear - typically one less than high gear) then they will give you the sign to romp on her and run her up to the rpm you think you don't want to go past - RED LINE HER.

Then they will have you coast down - most don't have you take it out of gear or press in the clutch.

Then they will typically do this for three runs - just remember on the last run to push in the clutch because they have a brake control that they will engage and trust me it will flat stall the engine even on a high HP truck - seen it happen.

Then they will provide you with a print out with all three runs on the graph and it will typically call out various rpms with the tq and hp listed for that rpm. Along the top of the graph it will call out the max tq and max hp with their respective rpms listed.

Then you will have an average to go by - take all three top tq numbers and add them together then divide by 3 to get the average - do the same with the hp numbers.

When The E hit the rollers what I did was I ran her in 4th gear (E4OD - not 1.1 ratio but .71 ratio) this is because I wanted to see the numbers that I see rolling down the road. But then again I'm just werid...

rubberfish

Reaction score
Nothing to worry about John, just like Travis said.
You're not rat bagging the thing through the gears.
It's a lot like driving down the street at 35 or so and
pinning it to 75mph or whatever the truck is capable
of in 4th gear. Kind of like driving to work. :D :D

pafixitman

Reaction score
John,
Kaufmann's does not allow you to "drive" the truck. One of their guys will do it. Most of the trucks there will be on drugs and / or chipped. They are the ones w/ the most potential to go "Boom". Dockboy ate his turbo in the spring. Scott or Nick are a good source of "inside" info. I'm going. Looks like Mel may make it. I'm sure EZ will be game. We can meet at my place in Hanover and have a convoy if you want. I'm trying to get some other local IDI guys to come out. You get a chance to see how they live upstairs and realize how good we have it in the basement!

pafixitman

Reaction score
As posted at drama stop. Laughing at how much coin these guys have tied up in their trucks is free, $$ only if you want to get on the rollers.

Thats right its time for the games to begin again.....
"Fall Brawl 2005..... “Never Let The Enemy Pick The Battle Site.”

The Mason-Dixon TDC would like to extend our invitation to all who desire to participate in this great end of the year show.This is our annual 2 day dyno competition which hosts some of the finest examples of diesel powered Trucks from all over the country.We also have a covered dish cookout for those who would like to bring their favorite food along to share with the whole group.

The Dates.....Saturday & Sunday October 15-16-Rain Or Shine
The Place......Kauffman Motorsports
901 Range End Road
Dillsburg,PA 17019
(717)502-8880
The Cost.......$70 for 3 spins with HP/TQ readings.

Remember stack equipped owners we would like you to drop your flex pipes is possible or allow us to some way vent the soot outside.Also we would like the dually owners to drop their outside tires off which allows us to move trucks in and out more efficently.Tools will be provided by Kauffmans to accomplish this and all we ask is to put them away when finished.The shop is also available for those who have last minute goodies to do or install and all they ask is that you dyno sometime that weekend.We did a great job at the spring show with the extra work and it showed when we were done,which we recieved many thanks for our proffessionalism.

As the time goes on from now out Doug and I will be dropping in with which vendors step in and join us.We are looking for a few diesel oriented shops who desire to be vendors for the weekends activities.I will list the competition classes as soon as Doug and I go over them.You will notice that we have moved this one weekend later so we didn't go head to head with the EEP Charity Pull in Ohio on the 7th.This will accomodate those who would have liked to go to both and couldn't last year,plus allow the charities a better chance to benefit from move.

Lets hear from you out there with food and if your going to join us.This show draws over 150 trucks for the weekends activities and there is always something there for everyone.............Andy

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my biggest problem with the Kaufmans deal, that they don't let you do it. Nobody knows their truck better than the owner, and there is no guarantee any of their staff will make it run like you can. Not that there would be a lot of difference, but since your paying whatever it is ($75?) to make 3 runs, you ought to be entitled to do it yourself. They also don't have a dedicated driver, and I'm not sure they guy who sits in the seat is particularly clean. :rolleyes:

wannadiesel

KDP Killer
Reaction score
Only one guy does the driving - and he's not crawling around strapping down trucks between rounds. :rolleyes: He will follow your directions, if you have drugs you want turned on or a valet switch. They run 'em in top gear, that gives the best numbers. Their dyno is an inertia dyno, not a load based dyno, so it's not even as ******* the truck as an actual run up through the gears would be. If your truck doesn't blow up on the road, you will not hurt it on the dyno.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert