Dually Fender needed

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the tires driver side exploded , took lots of fender chunks out with it, cracked it pretty good, i gathered all the fender fiber glass parts to repair. i amp very good with fiber glass work , motorcycle plastic fairing ..etc but was hoping to get a full complete replacement if any one has both side that would be great

Found a web site sells them new but they are really salty

http://www.wallisduallyfenders.com/...del-years-drivers-side-w-2-gas-fill-openings/

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have rebuilt two sets now, from road damage. Here is my trick.

I use 1/4 inch Masonite panels cut to fit the flat panel areas and then use Cleco sheet holders [used in building aircraft and race cars, look them up] to hold the Masonite panels in place as backer for the fiberglass mat layup.

I coat the Masonite [smooth side only] with mold wax so it releases from the fiberglass once it sets up, Cleco the parts in place after I feather the edges and rough them up to take fiberglass layup. THEN, lay up a layer. Let it cure, rough it up again, put down another layer, repeat..

I've found it works best if I can use the Masonite sheet on the outside of the fender. It leaves a smooth, flat, surface that doesn't take so much grind and prep to get the "new fender" look.

How you manage the layups and putting the pieces into place to make the fender will vary, depending on what pieces you have left to work with.

Bottom line, it will cost you a lot less than a new fender, in mat glass and resin. Rule of thumb is, 4 layers of well saturated mat, and a clean surface to glue your parts and mat to... Remove ALL oil and road grime or it won't bond.

Good luck. [take the fender off the truck, so you can always work "flat" instead of overhead.] I made a wood buck to mount the fender to that mounts to an engine stand so I can rotate it. Well worth the effort.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the tires driver side exploded , took lots of fender chunks out with it, cracked it pretty good, i gathered all the fender fiber glass parts to repair. i amp very good with fiber glass work , motorcycle plastic fairing ..etc but was hoping to get a full complete replacement if any one has both side that would be great

Found a web site sells them new but they are really salty

http://www.wallisduallyfenders.com/...del-years-drivers-side-w-2-gas-fill-openings/
$395 is not a bad price at all.
that includes shipping. something you really need to consider.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@G. Mann thank you for your writeup. I'm in the same boat as @Spun4Fun. My tire didn't blow but my fender is pretty banged up.

Do you just mat over the broken pieces or do you cut mat to go in between the pieces? I have almost everything still on mine, I just have to clean it all up and place it carefully to line it up.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, I ground all the lose fibers and rough breaks down to get a clean surfact to bond to, needs to be "roughed up" to let the epoxy "get a grip". so in one case, I had a bunch of smaller pieces "Clecoed" in position, with empty space between them. I then laid patch strips to fill the gaps as a "base" [working from inside the fender, with waxed Masonite outside.
Once that base cured, I did another grind [small air grinder with 4 inch pad, 120 grit] removed the Clecos, released the Masonite, and did another layer of layup with wider pieces across the "missing gaps" that I just filled.
With TWO layers, it starts to handle like a whole fender, but go easy, cause it will flex still.. Let that layer set up and cure... then grind again to get a bite and lay up more, if that gives you a picture.

Once the "new fender" is thick enough and cured enough.. go to the outside and grind off any drips or such... trim the edges to shape. Then you "should" be close enough to proper contour to float a coat of bondo [with glass fibers] to bring it out to looking like a "new fender" shape wise...

Paint to match... Bobs yer Unkle.

In my experience. Take the fender off and build a buck to bolt it to... mount it on an engine stand so you always "get the right angle" to flow the epoxy in place. The buck doesn't have to be fancy, just needs to be reasonable rigid.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember who it was, I think it was Wallis? They state right on their site that the fenders are thinner than OE. I didn't like the sound of that. They may be thick enough, but it makes me nervous.

I can't remember if I found Arrowcraft ones in my search or not. Maybe they only did conversion flares?

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have done the repair on the passenger side once before with regular resin and fiber cloth, lately i have been so busy and tons of open projects all over my garage but thankfully all under control now. i am planing to tackle it and repair it if i could save the OEM , figured to ask if some one near buy has spare ones to plug and play rather than resin work ..etc.

Here is few pics of the damages that the tire caused, Good thing i was planing to get the truck painted earlier
in the year, good thing i didn't.

\
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was QUITE the blow out. I had that happen once on my old truck. NOT a fun experience.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I blew the inside dual on my old 74 4x4 flatbed @ approx 60mph on the four lane. Had about 2 1/2 tons of loose ag lime on the back. When tire blew out it not only made a "bang" similar to a 12ga going off beside your ear, but also whacked underside of the bed so hard it made a huge white cloud of lime dust behind me. When I looked in the mirror thought sure the engine was gone! Limped the rest of the way home on 5 tires.......

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will buff right out... haha..

Fortunately, Ford made these fenders with a lot of flat surfaces, instead of curves like the 99 and up. Pull the fender and make up the Masonite backer boards like I suggested. Mount the fender on a wood buck off of a motor stand so you can work each "flat" in the horizontal, from the inside. That will let you lay enough resin to get the mat cloth full wet and squeege the resin into the mat, then let it cure.

Work a section at a time. Get good saturation, then walk away till it cures. "Patience Grasshopper"... ;)

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dually Crew for sale in my area. Considered investigating but haven't. I keep thinking about converting my truck to a dually, at least for the winter months when hauling slide in camper.
Then maybe convert back to current wheels & tires & bed for summer??? This one has a nice set of Ford alum wheels & the bed appears rust free.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dually Crew for sale in my area. Considered investigating but haven't. I keep thinking about converting my truck to a dually, at least for the winter months when hauling slide in camper.
Then maybe convert back to current wheels & tires & bed for summer??? This one has a nice set of Ford alum wheels & the bed appears rust free.
don't "think" just ddddoooooooo it :D