Dual Mass Flywheel

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased an 87 f250 6.9 with 4spd. I'm planning to remove the ZF 5spd from my 89 F350 7.3 and install into the 87 f250. Years ago I replaced the dual mass flywheel on the 89 f350 with a solid flywheel and I've hated it ever since. The gear noise is terrible! The 87 currently has a dual mass however the disc is apparently shot because it slips in high gear. Two questions. #1. Will the ZF bolt right up to the 6.9 and everything fit such as drive shafts and mounts? #2. Anyone have any experience on purchasing the "new" dual mass flywheels on ebay? They're listed @ $360.00 which I thought was a fair price???

side note, I notice lots of folks looking for diesel core supports and saw one on ebay. Starting price is $30.00 with a "buy it now" price of $125.00

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can put whatever trans behind either engine, as long as you move everything from the crankshaft flange back. That means your clutch and converter choices must match the transmission.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I'll need to buy a dual mass flywheel for a ZF or re-use the existing solid mass flywheel currently attached to the 7.3?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, The 6.9 and 7.3 have the exact same bolt holes and patterns. The clutch and flywheel, or flexplate and torque converter are specific to the transmission. The input shaft on the T-19 and the ZF-5 are different sizes, this is the reason the clutch needs to match the transmission.... where they bolt to the crank is the same 6.9 or 7.3. One gotya, is going from an auto to a manual. There is, on some flexplates, a spacer that is between the actual crank end and the flex plate. At times when you remove the flexplate the spacer stays "stuck" to the crank, and looks like it is part of the crank. If this spacer is left in, nothing on the manual will line up right because of the extra space between the crank and flywheel. A light tap on this spacer and it will fall free, and all will be good again.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online