driveshaft shenanigans

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @CBRF3 I have 3:55 gear and trac loc, he offered them for sale.

You must be registered for see images attach

This oem trac loc peaked my interest since has what looks like solid steel or iron disks. Since is like this, I can belive him that this would have a good lock up. The oem disks are out of stock from what I find and replacements look to be sintered iron/bronze discs. So if have to rebuild this in the future, not sure if would be the same.

It was a bit dirty and tought to pull it apart for cleaning but found the packs had very good load on the siders, so left it as is and cleaned best could. Will run it a short while and change again so the oil can pick up whats left of debris.

The bearings had a lot of play, so where do for replacement. Just cut cage and then the race, then there off.

To install them, you have to get a bit creative. Get them started with wrenches till going on true, then can buzz them on the rest of the way. At this point I also have the 3:55 gear swaped over with new bolts, they where a hair longer but with in margin of error.

So now its baged and taged, waiting to be installed

In deliberation there is mean to get the zf5 to have more feed back from the shifter, so will give it a shot if one is found. I would be looking for the one off a 460 with the wide ratio spread. I would be open to grabing the nv4500 hd off a dodge v10 or cummins if is found first. The spread is about the same for both and is a range I like.

Code:
close t19, 35in and 3.55
rpm    1500    2200    2500
1      11      16      18
2      18      26      30
3      31      45      51
4      44      64      73

wide zf5, 35in and 3.55
rpm    1400    1825    2400
1       7       9      12
2       14     18      24
3       25     33      43
4       41     53      70
5       53     70      92

NV4500, 35in and 3.55
rpm   1400     1750    2400
1     7        9       12
2     13       17      23
3     24       30      42
4     41       51      70
5     56       70      95

A adaptor could be had to bolt the nv4500 to the bell I have and then need a nv271 with dodge input swaped over.

nv4500 adaptor
The bearings on the trak lok as I said were shot as for the internals they were in good shape as the dif it was out of had low mileage 1 owner but was used towing its entire life but the nut on the pinion yolk was loose and his grandson hopped in it and was not experienced driving a stick and well dumped it hard with a trailer on it the pinion yoke came loose and pinion gear kissed the center carrier as I explained when you got it from me. The 3.55 gears with open dif I took out of a truck I had gotten that was a rollover with 40k miles all original old man driven local farmer he slid off road in a snow storm on ice I saved him off side of road and well I bought said truck off him same day then came back with a tractor and rolled it back over and hauled it back to farm frame was twisted and beyond safe repair sadly and was thus parted out and went into my stockpile of parts LOL. I sold these to you for cheap knowing your plans and you were budget constrained and my other offers still stand I just need to go thru my stuff to find all of the real goodies for you trust me when I say I have some crazy stuff most have never seen or heard of for these motors.

I have several of the ZF5 460 wide transmissions a few upgraded as I showed you one of mine in my old truck which has alot of miles on it and alot of heavy towing and almost no slop in it and pretty tactile in feel I wish I wasn't running so thick of a mix of WMO that day that I could have shown you its full pep but I am sure you noticed the crazy throttle response down low litterally never got over 1/4 throttle thats the injector nozzle mod and slightly increased pop pressure and that was fully glow plug deleted I set there for well over an hour waiting on you and it still popped off no issue.

I hope to get those injector nozzles I showed you that day machined down soon just not much time recently working all the time working for railroad is rough working 365 days a year random times and on call 24hrs a day except after you get off you get 8-10 hours off then put back on call board.

Last edited:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bearings on the trak lok as I said were shot as for the internals they were in good shape as the dif it was out of had low mileage

Yea I can see a lot of meat left on those disk from the few holes in it and could feel the play in the bearrings.

The 3.55 gears with open dif I took out of a truck I had gotten that was a rollover with 40k miles

I can belive that because dont feel any play in those bearing, so reusing the bearings on the pinion. I do find more reports of issues with the short pinion nut coming loose so getting one these spacer to eliminate the crush sleeve. Thank agaain for this.

ratech 4105 spacer

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I can see a lot of meat left on those disk from the few holes in it and could feel the play in the bearrings.

I can belive that because dont feel any play in those bearing, so reusing the bearings on the pinion. I do find more reports of issues with the short pinion nut coming loose so getting one these spacer to eliminate the crush sleeve. Thank agaain for this.

ratech 4105 spacer
I think I have a few complete sets ( 4 or 5 complete sets ) of the factory ford friction disk and spring sets for the trac lok's like one I sold you when I go thru all my stockpile if you end up needing a set of them let me know.

as I explained to you use the synthetic 75w-90 gear fluid only as it has the friction additive already in it and alot of the stuff you can buy now is the wrong friction additive stuff I did a ton of research and the additive package is standard in the synthetic dif gear fluid due to chevy and ford now using a similar traction lock system even the dually rams and such do now and they added this to theyre basic synthetic dif fluids to cover things.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a spacific brand I should go with?
I prefer the castrol synthetic gear oil myself I find it is less foamy after some miles are put on it others tend to foam up more after around 10k miles just my experience working on the bigger ISUZU trucks in florida that ran 100+ miles a day always towing a trailer and a load at my old job where was a fleet mechanic.

I also found the castrol synthetic gear oil to not break down as fast as many others aka more or better additive package not sure exactly but had to change dif oil every 35k miles or 58 or less weeks or 350 days per truck or just under 1yr of use and we had 12+ of these trucks not including many others and I worked there for several years and well I tried a few different fluids in that time and found the castrol one to be best one out there for the money.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Warning, too much friction modifier and you may as well have an open diff.

I never put any modifier in at first. Drive it a bit. Only if it's acting up will i add modifier.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning, too much friction modifier and you may as well have an open diff.

I never put any modifier in at first. Drive it a bit. Only if it's acting up will i add modifier.
thats the thing the modifer isn't for slipping its to avoid chatter and the 75w-90 synthetic gear oils already have the right ratio out the gate and most of the friction modifers you find that say theyre for ours is not for our originals as 1mouse3 said the one he got from me is the good one with the metal lock disks with friction grooves it won't slip 90% of ones out there don't have this set of friction disks unless are OEM again this came out of a low mileage that towed alot down interstate / highway and literally never went offroad so they barely got any wear and i have more of the originals new OEM NOS from sterling / ford.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Fwiw, I use basic 80-90w (no modifier) and have never experienced chatter with a used trac lok. My trouble has only been not gripping enough.

I keep the bottle of friction modifier on my shelf should i ever need it.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, I use basic 80-90w (no modifier) and have never experienced chatter with a used trac lok. My trouble has only been not gripping enough.

I keep the bottle of friction modifier on my shelf should i ever need it.
well so you know the friction modifier also allows certain slip and certain engagement I can assure you a properly maintained trac lok with factory style friction disks and slot grooved steal plates doesn't slip easily I have put them to the test offroading and such and i can tell you one wheel wonder burnouts and such were never a issue with even big duallies and weight aka partially loaded with bed weight so if yours are slipping something is wrong or it has been messed with and had the wrong disks and such put in.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The trac lok in my pickup, just short of 400k now, has never been impressive......but it is noticeable.
I have installed new trac loks for people after telling them they wouldnt be happy with them, and they had the same feeling as I did.....not impressive, but noticeable.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trac lok in my pickup, just short of 400k now, has never been impressive......but it is noticeable.
I have installed new trac loks for people after telling them they wouldnt be happy with them, and they had the same feeling as I did.....not impressive, but noticeable.
The thing is find the heavy duty ones with the slotted / grooved steal disks and the brown friction disks and add proper fluid and the lockup is very good sometimes a bit to aggressive most of ones you find new are actually rebuilt ones or actually lighter duty ones look for ones for forestry trucks and government 4x4's if can find NOS ones of this type you will find theyre a whole nother beast compared to the others I myself only use this type I have literally had 2x4 dualies with one rear drive set off ground and still able to take off the lockup on the heavy duty / government 4x4 designed ones is crazy very close to a full locker.

The one I sold 1mouse3 was one of these trak lok's you can tell via the slotted / grooved steal disks and brown friction disks.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are photos I can find of the trac lok with the metal disks. The disks are cut opposing ways to shed debris from wear or foreign material I blelive so the metal has a suffice to grab. The part number for this pack is 72960X from spicer.

All the other replacements I find are like this with variation of the clutch material. These are not going to have the aggressive lock up of the above disk and will slip a lot easier.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
My trac-lok discs had the groovy pattern in them. Unit was tight and agressive with the truck empty. With a load of gravel or topsoil, it would get stuck on wet grass (one tire spinning) until i grabbed 4wd.

It was close-quarters with a long truck, in a pretty little yard so i really didnt want to tear things up with 4wd if i didnt have to. But i had to....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx