Driver's side door-ajar button for interior and exterior lighting..

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fixing the mess previous owner made. When things broke, they left them broken, and moved on to breaking something else... So here I am, fixing the truck, wanting everything the way it was.....

When opening driver's side door, the cabin light and exterior bed light do not come on. If I open passenger side, both lights come on. I took the switch out and ohmed it.. it works, button pushed in, circuit is open, pushed out, circuit is closed... It's a 3 pin switch: black, yellow/green, and red. I get no power between red and black, yellow/green and black, and I got 12v+. I was expecting red/black to be 12v+, and green to be power into the dome....

93 F250, extended cab.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Swap the other side to the side that does not work. Then you will know for sure it is or is not the switch. Buy 2 just in case. Or find them in the pick n pull for free.. Probably the same switch for most all big fords and mercs.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the switch works.. The passenger side has a switch built into the door jamb, on the inside..

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I grabbed an extra switch from pick n pull and it is no good either....so, I took it apart.

The switch is nothing more than a slider the makes all three wires contact each other when it is extended. The friction of sliding causs the contacts to wear through, thus, it won't work.

So, you can take it apart, clean it and glue it back together, or do this.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-DS838-Switch/dp/B000C7WXH4/ref=pd_ybh_1

Just read again where you homes your switch. It may be making a connection enough for an ohm meter, but is unable to carry the current required for burning a lamp filament. From what I can tell, the switch has the power in, which connects o both the other wires. One for the light, and one for the key in buzzer.

Last edited:

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, the switch has the power in, which connects o both the other wires. One for the light, and one for the key in buzzer.
To the OP..Have you touched all three wires together? Should let you know if the wiring is good.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is like this too, but I consider it a feature. No dinging or dome light drain when I leave the door open while I'm working, for example go back to load something. :)

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BLACK to YELLOW/GREEN = 12v
BLACK TO RED = nothing.

I have not put wires together -- I no longer blindly put wires together... I've burned way too many things doing that. :)

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the insides of the switch. Three slides on the housing that are contacted all together when the switch is fully extended out.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle