Drainback

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
:mad:If I let the truck sit more than a hour or so it is a real pain to get started. I have to crank then bleed the schrader vavle prolly four or five times. If I let it set overnight it drains my batterys before I can get it going. Its really ticking me off. There are no leaks on the return lines and the fuel filter is only 3 weeks old. I double checked all the connections on the return lines today and found no problems. Ive got the truck running a lil better but it still misses. At first start up it blows clouds of white smoke and pops then blows black smoke for a second and back to white. I also have a miss while driving cant really hear it but I can feel it. Oh and when cold it feels like I have a gasser in there with a bad carb thats loading up. Its tries to go but it spits and spudders. Im getting very tired of this crap. Ive been all over the motor and followed all the lines and there are no f ing leaks.-cuss

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next time before you start it pull the filter off and see full of fuel. have you checked the weep hole on the fuel pump to see if its wet or dirty?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Could be an air leak in the return lines. Some times you will have an air leak that wont leak fuel.

The lift pump has a check valve in it from my understanding and if it went bad it would cause that problem.

As jonathan mentioned pull the fuel filter and see if its full or empty.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
I belive I found the issue last night. I noticed that the fuel line feeding the lift pump was wet. Which would be why my fuel filter is not full when I go to start the truck in the morning and why it is running like crap at top end. Another issue I am having is I put the fuel filter on by hand and didnt get crazy with it but now it wont come off. I grabbed a big pair or channel locks and bairly got it to move and managed to crush it some. So looks like new lift pump and filter this weekend. Thanks fellas.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
One other thing I wanted to discuss is when I let the truck idle for a little while then tap the peddle it goes all sorts of crazy. A real high idle spudder it will do it two or three or times then it fine. What causes this?:dunno
Also what about the pop at cold idle out the exhaust?:puke: Its a pretty loud pop. I really need to get some extra cash so I can get a Ip and some injectors. The truck is still running pretty good but it feels like Im loosing power. I couldnt even get it break loose in the rain!-cuss

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Ok new lift pimp going on in the morning. Took About two hrs to start it today. Oooook I'm glad Ive got these ac60g glow plugs! I left my toggle switch for the gps on for like 10 mins!!! They still work. If these were any other plugs they would be junk. This is why I switched over. A guy over on TDS did a test with these and the ZD9s and convinced me these were for me.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
So I changed the filter today right after I shut it off and the filter was half full. Bull crap. Ran out off time today but the new pump will be on in the morning. Also gunna do the cowl air setup. Also working on getting the dual stack setup back on. Still need a coue feet of pipe and some reducers.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Finally got the new pump on today and it was a pain in the butt. last yr when I did this it went right on. Truck starts much better. I do to have to cycle the pluga twice and she fires every time. One for 15 seconds then one for 8 and shes off and running. No 15 seconds is not running ruin my gps. I can run these plugs for 30 seconds with no problem. Also noticed a oil leak today tried to find out where it was coming from and couldnt get a good look. Let it sit for abourt two hrs fired it up and let it run for about ten minutes with not one drop of oil coming out. Checked the oil and Im am two quarts low but ita still there.