down pipe removal

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in process of removing down pipe, question is can i get this thing out w/o removing the trans? this thing is tight!!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depends if you're reusing vs replacing. Lol

Banks 3" can be pulled from the top. Gotta twist it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it!!! loosened the 2 body bolts on the pass side cab and jacked it up an inch or so and it slid out like butter!!! new pipe went in good... job done.. now on to exhaust, and trying to get it to whistle a little more...

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
pics please. I will be doing the same thing soon. Is the banks pipe a bolt in deal? same length and clamps?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the banks pipe mates up fine at the top... its just a cut end at the botom so have to get an adapter to connect to exhaust..but i plan to add a 5" diamond eye exhaust here very soon so not going to spend any money on making the current exhaust work..but once i undid the 2 body bolts on the pass side and jacked the cab up a lil it made everything a ton easier...i shoulda did that last night..

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I''m planning on removing cab for this plus head gaskets and rustproofing. I,m just hoping i can get it orientated correct so when the cab goes back on it clears.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I''m planning on removing cab for this plus head gaskets and rustproofing. I,m just hoping i can get it orientated correct so when the cab goes back on it clears.

I see that you plan to pull your cab for other things anyway, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.... I just put in a Banks DP a few weeks ago... I have an identical truck to "dizdak"... I loosened the v clamp holding the dp to the turbo housing and removed the worthless muffler. I left everything else together.... When I pulled and twisted on the exhaust pipe the whole thing fell out. I didn't touch anything else.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you clearance the firewall lip while old downpipe was off? It will help make it much easier :sly

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wiggled and twisted and did all i could do and it hung up every which way till i lifted the cab a little...the 3" bank pipe went in easier than the old pipe came out.. for a larger pipe it seems clear all the way around it.. have no clearance issues... and the vclamp wasn't too bad to work with either...

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that thought crossed my mind!! but if i would have just liftd the cab from the start this would hve probably been a 45 minute job...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online