Double flare

sarnhun

Reaction score
who has a good thread or how to do double flare on brake lines? Never had to do it . but got a tool from harbor fr. and im not doing something right. maybe not holding my mouth right.:confused:

RedTruck

Reaction score
Couple of suggestions that I found:

1. You will be using your tool to bell the line and flare the line. In both cases you will be tightening the tool against the jig. Don't overtighten the tool.

2. I found deburring the end helped make a cleaner looking double flare.

3. When your done and the line is installed flush it thoroughly to get any left over debris out. This could be from you making the double flare, from the brake line sitting around collecting dust, or from the manufacturing process.

Good luck

Paul

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
In my experience, deburring is very important. As is getting a good clean, square cut.
The importance of these 2 items seems to grow as the tubing gets smaller.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
In my experience, deburring is very important. As is getting a good clean, square cut.
The importance of these 2 items seems to grow as the tubing gets smaller.

Yep, the fellow that showed me how to do them filed the end flat and square. Tubing cutters tend to roll things inward, and we used a piece of sandpaper laying flat on a hard, flat surface, then held the brake line vertical scuffing the end on the sandpaper to sqare it up and remove the rolled in piece. Also, flushing is VERY important as was mentioned. I usually hose mine out with brake clean and then compressed air, it's sometimes amazing what comes out of 3/16" line! I have seen several spiders spit out with the compressed air, which blows the line clean and evaporates any remaining brake clean.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Flat on the end, file about a 45* bevel all around it and hit it with the two steps on the jig....Never had one leak yet. If you don't file the bevel it can crack the flared portion of the tubing very easily.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
For deburring the inside of the tube after the cut it's a lot easier if you have this kind of tubing cutter with the fold out triangle reamer. There may be something newer on the market that works better now, I don't know, Just used those for years.