Don't Be Me, Antigel is Good

hadley000

Reaction score
I filled up at a station I don't use regularly, and the fuel gelled up on me. My regular fill station I've never had a problem because they have a lot of turnover on fuel. I generally use antigel but never worried if I didn't, but I didn't have any with me so I never added any. We had -14 last night and the filter was full of wax. I couldn't get the truck into a warm area so I filled the filter with Howe's (it's what I had on hand) and added a good dose to the tank too, and let it sit all afternoon. It got to a balmy 12 degrees and luckily it started up, very roughly, and got the Howe's through the tank and all the lines. It's all good now, but I won't make that mistake again.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how a little dose of extra chill from Mother Nature can mess with us. I've been starting my Powerstroke every morning as it's crazy but if I let it sit more than 2 days when it's as cold as it's been it's been really tough to start.

At least you had some Howe's on hand and it doesn't sound like it was too terrible an ordeal to get your rig back online.

hadley000

Reaction score
it doesn't sound like it was too terrible an ordeal to get your rig back online
Not too bad at all. I'm actually surprised the Howes worked as well as it did. Funny thing is my diesel Chevette started up today without trouble and that thing is the most cold blooded car ever built.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
always good practice to have spare filters and any antigel on hand.
if I'm running local it's not much of an issue compared to interstate at this time of the year.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day I had some gelling issues. I picked up some Howes since it was on sale (usually use PS). I didn't thoroughly read the instructions. Their chart had mix quantities for above and below 0*f. I mixed it a little stronger the than the above 0*f since the forecast said it wasn't getting that cold. Well, I guess the forecast was wrong because when I woke up the next morning it was -6*f. The van started up okay and idled fine, but 2-3 time on my way to work it started to lose power. pumping the throttle and switching tanks seemed to get it going again. I stopped at a gas station on the way and dumped in some more fuel additive.

Upon examining the label when I got home the chart was for big rigs. For all cars/trucks you are supposed to always use a double dose. Just glad I didn't get stranded.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yup. Most big rigs circulate way more fuel.
Previous employer, his truck would pull from one tank, return to the other, then flow across.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7