Doing good

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Yesterday I realized I have put about 9K miles on my rebuilt engine and I havent had any issuses with it other than the freeze plugs popping out which hasnt happened for a while since I got the tool from OTC and I have used the avaition cement. Keeping my fingures crossed that this truck last for many years to come.
Now time to fix all the non working items on the rig.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
other than the freeze plugs popping out

Funny, I had this issue as well, probably close to the same mileage on a remanufactured engine. Yep, I'm hoping my truck will be there as well. I would be happy driving it as long as I am still able to do so. Problem is, at the age of 39, this could be a tall task.LOL

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Goose Ill be 40 in a few months.
I rebuilt my engine, I dont know if it was the PO or the machine shop that installed the wrong freeze plugs but thats all fixed now and doing good.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be 51 this month. Can't stand new vehicles (had 2 in my day, to much buck for the bang :dunno) My truck was 19 when I got it (now 23). Still cheaper that that age of a woman. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel this freeze plug poping out issue can't be talked about enough. These blocks require the factory plugs that are stainless steel and come in the easy factory 7 pack. The other after market brass or steel will not bite into the machined edge of the block and stay put. I found this out the hard way and it cost me a rebuilt engine. I lost one pulling a grade. With no coolant surrounding the sender we have no idea how hot the engine is. In my case I had an oil temp gauge and it told me the oil was passing 330 degrees... Way too late to save the engine. It slowed down and froze up before I could stop on the side of the freeway... Seems the shop installed brass plugs plus they didn't use the proper tool.. I asked about that and the owner lied telling me they did use the tool... Wel another honest member of his staff confessed that they had no special tool for these plugs. So I really ate the big one on that deal. I did make them pay too but not nearly enough. So I ruin their reputation any chance I get and its been 6 years now. Wonder how thats working for them. I knew the owner was sick and had cancer but thats still no reason to cheat customers. He was trying to convince himself he didn't have cancer but I saw what he had kill my father. I tried to tell him what I knew but he was not listening to me. I still wonder how he is but will not go back there to "find out I was right".. I don't need that kind of reasurance I was right... But about these freeze plugs poping out. They wont if the factory stainless steel plugs AND... The prpper special tool is used. The tool is from Rotunda or OTC these days and the number on it is 303D045. Figure around $180.00 and probably a 6 week wait time. Several members got together and posted the specs to make this tool. All the proper demensions were posted with a great print of the tool and description of how it works. Anyone with simple lathe princibles can easily make one or two for others. These are really a one time use tool too. Now many of us will ever use the tool more than once but having it will sure save you the trouble several of us have experianced.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
48 and looking for a core plug tool to dimple the damn plugs, Guy just may get around to it...eventually or maybe Ian, I have yet to ask Dave, he's capable....LOL

Just don't understand why I cannot name off some HOT women I know when talking about getting a tool:eek: You would think they would want something for poking core plugs with dimples:sly

Popspuller6.9

Reaction score
wow this is funny, i am 57 and still driving old trucks...but last week the machine shop boring my block and rebuilding the heads called and said they would not put any other freezes plug into my 6.9 except factory oem of course i said order them and call me when it is done. reading this the 40 bucks it cost me was worth it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online