Does anyone want my truck?

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Yeah, I know you guys are great at helping each other out, I'm just tired of wrenching because I have to. I don't mind wrenching for fun and improvements, But having to get my tools out at 6:00 am so I can get to work is beginning to get annoying.

I understand your position. I was in your shoes as well. Except I had three to keep going. My wife is the one that pushed me to get a new truck so that at least I didn't have to work on mine all the time. Now I just have to maintain two trucks and actually they're pretty reliable. I've about got them down to just preventative maintenance...except my daughters truck shelled a clutch slave cylinder last Saturday which is awaiting my attention.

Piece of mind that you just get in, turn the key, and go is worth something.

Tom

Camarogenius

Reaction score
That's what I want. Reliability.
The hell of it is that I really like the old girl. It's like that old pair of redwings in the closet, it just fits. It's a comfortable truck to drive, and I know most of it's tricks. If I can keep the old ford and still get something newer, I will.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me if you were to drop a new motor, trans, rear axle, new front end, and tires on it, you'd have a new truck at a fraction of the cost of a whole new truck. Of course I understand the difficulties in financing such an affair. This, I have been told, is what UPS basically does with their fleet. The need dependable reliability, but can't shell out the money for new trucks all the time. They keep them reliable by renewing them, and putting new parts in them (like starters) on a schedule instead of waiting for a problem to crop up.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Jeff -

Having been in the new truck market pretty recently - look at chevy - specifically the LBZ engine. I'd never own anythign else after driving this, and the interior is a lot better than dodges. I LOVE this thing.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me if you were to drop a new motor, trans, rear axle, new front end, and tires on it, you'd have a new truck at a fraction of the cost of a whole new truck. Of course I understand the difficulties in financing such an affair. This, I have been told, is what UPS basically does with their fleet. The need dependable reliability, but can't shell out the money for new trucks all the time. They keep them reliable by renewing them, and putting new parts in them (like starters) on a schedule instead of waiting for a problem to crop up.
+1 on the powertrain overhaul. I bought my '92 with enough of a financial "cushion" that if needed, I can drop in a newused powertrain and not get hurt.
save up and drop in a new powertrain and your problems will be diminished. at least the electrical is not complicated where you can't hot wire a couple of items and get home. when I am doing my 1800 mile commute, its a great feeling knowing short of scattering a motor or grenading a trans, most repairs can be done with spare parts on hand and hand tools.;Sweet

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Jeff -

Having been in the new truck market pretty recently - look at chevy - specifically the LBZ engine. I'd never own anythign else after driving this, and the interior is a lot better than dodges. I LOVE this thing.
Yeah, I just can't stand that Isuzu buzzing sound.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Yeah, I just can't stand that Isuzu buzzing sound.

The sound, or lack there of, does take some getting used to. My LBZ sounds like a jet more than a buz. It's got about 9K miles on it now and the sounds emminatimg from the engine are beginning to sound more "diesel-like" to me. New exhaust system will be one of the first things on my list of "improvements". I do like the fact that I can just mash the pedal and go like a bat outta hell. However, when I take my wife's truck to the petrol station these days, it's a whole different type of enjoyment. Just go slow (comparative), row through the gears, and enjoy the cackle. And the satisfaction of knowing that I built it myself.;Sweet

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7