Does anyone make IDI crate engines?

MountainMan300

Reaction score
I have a block I was going to rebuild from the ground up, and still will if I need to, but I need the truck back on the road ASAP. Does anyone manufacture a crate engine for these trucks?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that it's Jasper or Promar that offers one. If you buy one from them, you have to do a little bit precaution work. The two plugs behind the cam gear on either side of the cam have a habit of falling out, not every time, but WAY too often. This happens because they are held in by small divots in the surrounding metal from the factory. When you remove them and install new ones (or reuse the old ones) you have to make divots in the metal again. They are not press in to stay. All you have to do is take a small chisel and make a small deformation on each side of the plugs. I'm not at all saying that you shouldn't buy from them, just that you need to take this precautionary step because I've seen several members on here who bought a reman engine and then it suddenly lost oil pressure because of this.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What would you say is the quality of their builds? I've been looking for a spare idi engine, and can't find one for under $2k

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe its Promar, and you can actually get some customization with it too. Several members have motors from them and have had good results. but like IDIBronco said give it a once over before running it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be nice if they did, but I'm sure the cost would probably be more than the value of all of my trucks combined.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another Crate engine thread.

Goat

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think laserjock bought a crate engine. Been a few years ago now but his lengthy and extensive build thread is titled "Big Red".

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And fwiw
I don't recall seeing much on this question, and less about negative results.
My 88 had a builder plate on the block and it ran fine...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think laserjock bought a crate engine. Been a few years ago now but his lengthy and extensive build thread is titled "Big Red".
Been a couple years since I read his build but I think his was a promar. Someone feel free to correct that if I'm wrong.

James

Tizzy

Reaction score
I purchased a "turn key" 7.3 IDI from one of the big name remanufactures mentioned in this thread. I have put 14,000 on that engine since installment. A few issues that have occured...the thermostat stuck closed at approximately 7,000 miles...idler pulley bearing went out around 10,000 miles, and most recently the lift pump went out...around 13,500 miles. While all have been minor issues, and inconveniences, I would not expect parts to wear out that quick on a supposed remanufactured engine. I do hope that the service life of these parts is not indicutive of the overall engine build quality. That having been said, this is my first diesel, and I am not aware of what the expected service life of said parts was even on the original engine...

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats who I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember who it was. I believe he had them put aftermarket parts on too if I am not mistaken, possibly Russ's cam and different valve springs, but you would have to check his thread.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a "turn key" 7.3 IDI from one of the big name remanufactures mentioned in this thread. I have put 14,000 on that engine since installment. A few issues that have occured...the thermostat stuck closed at approximately 7,000 miles...idler pulley bearing went out around 10,000 miles, and most recently the lift pump went out...around 13,500 miles. While all have been minor issues, and inconveniences, I would not expect parts to wear out that quick on a supposed remanufactured engine. I do hope that the service life of these parts is not indicutive of the overall engine build quality. That having been said, this is my first diesel, and I am not aware of what the expected service life of said parts was even on the original engine...
With all of those parts I am sure they are in the same boat as the rest of us in the fact that most of the new and remanufactured parts available now are low quality.

With the fact that you haven't had any problems with the engine itself I would say their quality standards are probably reasonable.

That is just my thoughts.

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86