does anybody know about welding on a chassis?

bushpig7

Reaction score
Hello oilburners

I got crawling around under the loooong truck that just came from Towcats lair in california and I noticed that the plate that holds the goose ball has been welded to the frame. I don't know a lot, but I thought that you weren't supposed to weld on a channel-type chassis. Does anybody know?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Hello oilburners

I got crawling around under the loooong truck that just came from Towcats lair in california and I noticed that the plate that holds the goose ball has been welded to the frame. I don't know a lot, but I thought that you weren't supposed to weld on a channel-type chassis. Does anybody know?

Two of my previous trucks had a gooseneck ball in them, and the brackets and plate were welded and bolted to the frame. My current truck has brackets for a 5th wheel hitch welded to the frame under the box. I haven't had any issues yet.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
A good bit of my dump parts are welded on, no problems thus far. I extended the frame as well, welded the extension, plated it and welded the plates as well, no issues there either.

bushpig7

Reaction score
That's a relief! I had been told some time ago not to weld on a chassis ever and I thought I might encounter certification problems up here in Canada. that would've kinda sucked . I just wasn't sure. I talked to a few people up here too and they all agree with you guys. "if it cracks, then it's a problem, otherwise dont worry about it". I'm hoping to change the cracked brake rotor and replace the pads this monday (I'm gonna unplug the phone) and check out all the rest of the brakes. I can't put this thing on the road until I get a green light from Canadian Tire (its a store that is common across the country). believe it or not I have to take the truck in and have them verify that it has a DRL module that works and some other Canada specific components BEFORE I can get it safetied by a licensed mechanic. Why? I don't know. It's one of those things that only a beauracrat could concieve of (if any of you are one of those, I'm sorry but that's how I feel) So I have to wait until I get a form mailed to me. Then I go visit Canadian tire. Then I get a mechanic to make sure its safe. Couldn't the mechanic do it all? Oh yeah, Canadian Tire wouldn't make any money off of it if it were done that way.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Dave you may have already known about this web site.
Don't see anything pertaining to specific modifications. Might be best to consult a mechanic about mod's, before the inspection.

45 day's can pass real fast. Maybe joining a Canadian diesel forum would get you some answer's on mod's.

Anyhow, glad to see the truck made it safely to Mattawa.

Good luck.

Trucks, MPVs, motor homes, minivans, chassis cabs

ü Recall clearance letter
ü The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. statement of compliance label at the time of
importation.
ü The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you
after passing the federal inspection.
ü Manufacturer's cargo capacity label if manufactured after April 1, 1999
ü Valid alpha-numeric 17-digit VIN
ü Metric speedometer and odometer labels (provided by inspection centre)
ü Daytime running lights
ü French supplementary restraint system label for airbags that require periodic maintenance
NEW: ü If the GVWR of this vehicle is less than 10,000 lbs, and the manufacture date after September 1, 2007, it must be equipped with an electronic immobilizer system that meets CMVSS 114.

Last edited:

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back before the Turn-over ball and other bolt in setups were available, this was the the standard for oil field hotshot trucks. On my 84 I used to have, it was a section of 12" channel with the center beefed up with some 1/2" plate with hole drilled for ball. Channel welded to frame, pulled a G/N weighing in empty @ 8k and loaded with upto 20k on top. Ran that for over 440k miles on some very rough roads with no problems. Back then thats the way it was done, just made sure a good welder installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger