Do these glow plugs look 5 days old to you?

DragRag

Reaction score
The guy I bought the 86' from said he put these in a couple days before I picked it up. They look like they have 50,000 miles or more on them to me. Any chance I am wrong about this? Or, statistically speaking are the chances better that I am right and that he or his mechanic that out them in are complete liars? It was cold starting kind of bad still so I ohmed them, and all showed open. I thought that's strange, I know my meter is good since I just checked and changed four bad ones on my 93'. I ohmed some good ones to confirm, yup working fine. So I pull them out, the tips are burned pretty bad, one tip is completely gone. The others you can see have deep etching in them, they are not to far behind the one that is burned off. I guess I'll find out if I can make a set of these glow plugs look like this in a few days after I run the new ones for a little while. Could I be completely wrong in thing that some has pulled some sort of stunt here so to speak? Look at them, and tell me what your opinion is on the age/mileage of these glow plugs. They are Bosch plugs btw.
You must be registered for see images attach

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, they are about 5 days old. If it was 2006. Hopefully that tip passed through gently

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Did he say they were NEW when he put them in???? They look like they have some years on them.

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are not beru plugs there have been many times plugs have only lasted one or two starts.

DragRag

Reaction score
Ya, I could see a set not working, but not being burned off like they are. These look very high mileage to me. I just sen the guy pictures of them, let's see what he has to say about it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What looks funny is the crap on the top electrical end. They do look newer but burned out ans swolen already... Nope... No antisieze either on the threads. The seat looks clean too. They could be 5 days old but.. Something has to be wrong to have them swell and burn off a tip...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i have seen beru plugs look like that and worse out of my engine, and the beru were about a week old when i pulled them and noticed tips missing, i have had AC delcos for a good long while and they havent burned out nor have the tips went MIA

EDIT: but remeber what my engine goes threw

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have found out that neversieze adds the final combination to the metal to metal glue and they get stuck.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Drag, I ran Bosches here a while back. I got 3 starts out of one plug and it looked like it was in there for a dog's age. I burnt up 18 Bosch plugs in less than two months. I find their cheap quality matches their cheap price.

When I load up 8 Motorcraft's here in a couple weeks (shipping sucks!!!) I KNOW I will not burn up any more plugs for a decent amount of time!

I have a push button actuator on my GP controller. It just cycles the controller as it normally would go, but my dash wiring problems made me run a push button instead of having the key turn the controller on. Is it a bad thing to hit the start button JUST before the controller clicks off? I did it a couple times with only 3 or 4 good plugs working in 5*F weather and the truck fired right up!

DragRag

Reaction score
Ya, I realize that could happen. That's why I am going to pull the new plugs in a few days, and see if the truck is eating them, or if they are as old as I think they are. I think that will be the ultimate test. I'll post after I put some miles on the new glow plugs we know for sure if the guy lied to me or not. I just shake my head while I type thinking about all this. The AC Delcos are going in with dyoung14's experience with them I have to give them a go. I have beru's in my other trucks, and I am very happy with those. If these Delco's make the grade, I will be a believer.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When I first got my truck, I went against the collective wisdom , and put a set of Bosch plugs in remembering my stellar luck with the things in the European diesels i'd worked on for so long. about 4-5 days later, I was taking them back out with most failed and some looking pretty hammered due to the sticky rings on the engine loading them up with carbon. I ate my crow and put a set of Beru plugs in and they were still fine about a year later when I yanked the engine.

The bosch plugs just do not fare well in this application. I have been occasionally dropping bugs in their ear at Bosch to produce one of their Duraterm plugs for our application, but as of the last time about 2 months ago, they still had no plans to make the good plugs for our trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online