do i need a drop pitman arm for a 4" lift?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
was looking at purchasing some drop brackets but they dont come with a drop pitman arm. is it required to run about 4" of lift? trying to gather up some parts for my truck so i can do all repairs and mods at once. i was told it would be ok just wouldnt ride very good but just wanted to be 100% sure before hand. thanks! ;Sweet

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your steering linkage will be much happier with you if you do get one. without it you could end up with premature failure of the tierod ends because of the angles that would be created by the lift. i got mine for $35 last year, and i am seeing them for about $50 now. keep your eyes open and you might be able to find a better deal too.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
On a D50 a drop pitman arm is a must... same as the pivot brackets.

Since the tierods are "split" on a D50, as opposed to a single drag link as the D60 has, if your pitman arm is not dropped your toe angle will go haywire during turns. This is what gives the D50 it's tire shredding reputation. You can have all your angles spot-on with the steering at neutral position, as soon as you crank the wheel a turn in either direction, suddenly your toe is WAY out of whack!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you stare at the steering linkage from the front of the truck, you will notice the linkage is setup in a similar way to the TTB arms. If you look at any car or truck, say one with a a-arm suspension, you will notice the same thing; the steering linkage is configured to match the suspension, with the inner and outer tie rods setup to be close to the same length as the lower a-arms and at the same height.

They do this so when you are holding the steering wheel straight, going straight down the road, and the suspension moves up or down from a road bump, the steering linkage will "follow" the suspension. They will have close to the same arc of movement, so the steering linkage will not get longer or shorter in relation to the suspension.

If you mess with this relation between the linkage and the suspension, you will get what they call "bumpsteer". The truck will tend to dart one way or the other when you hit a deviation in the road surface, and you will end up fighting the truck to keep it in the road. The toe can be re-adjusted, but you will never get the severe bumpsteer out of it without a dropped pitman arm.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I have a 4" lift with the Moose Truck and Dana 44HD, and you definitely want to have one.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used to have a 97 F250 CCSB with a 4" lift and 35's on a Dana 50 TTB. Never had any issues with excessive tire wear. I always figured it was due to the drop pitman arm. I've heard numerous others with a 4" lift and stock pitman arm complaining of wearing the front tires too quickly.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I did the lift and adjusted out the tie rod ends - now I am just looking for the dropped pitman arm.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I was running on the stock pitman arm at 4" lift and had to 'saw' the wheel in any turn.... there isnt enough room to adjust without a drop pitman arm....

Your tires and your nerves will thank you (it was a little squirrely in turns)...