E350 Pitman Arm

Gumpy

Reaction score
I'm trying to convert my '85 E350 van to manual steering. The power steering gear box had problems and I thought this would make a simpler more reliable system. The van is used primarily on the highway. I bought a gear box from the salvage yard that is supposed to be interchangeable with the vans; it came out of a ford ranger. The box mounts into the factory spot and hooks into the steering shaft.

The problem is that the manual box has a smaller diameter shaft to hook into the pitman arm. Thus my original arm doesn't fit. The ranger pitman arm is smaller.

What suggestions do you guys have? I was planning on dropping off both pitman arms at the salvage yard and seeing if they have one that matches the geometry of the original but will mate with the manual gear box.

Ford part sites list this pitman arm for the manual steering vans: (discontinued)
E5UZ3590B
E150. E100-150 vans. E100-350 vans. E250 & 350, manual steering, from 3/83. E100 & 150, manual steering, from 3/83.

Original pitman: Length:5 3/4" drop: 1 1/2" Steering box splines: 32 diameter:1 1/4"
Ford ranger pitman: Length:4 7/8" drop: 1 3/16" Steering box splines: 32 diameter:1 1/16"
*all values approximate (used measuring tape)

Gumpy

Reaction score
That manual steering box was also supposed to fit '80-'90 F series trucks and some after that as well. Would they have similar geometry to my original pitman arm?