DM flywheel

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
ok guys got a few more questions.
getting ready to convert my 4 speed slushbox to 5 speed top loader.
my question is what year did ford start to use the DM flywheel?
next question is are they really that bad of a setup?
the donor truck is a 89 with 200,000 miles on the odo.it was always well maintained but was used for pulling a 30 foot 5th wheel most of its life.
my other thought was that my uncles 90 has 200,000+ on the original clutch with no problems.
i guess i need to know your thoughts on the flywheel and clutch,do i need to upgrade to a single mass flywheel(if i have a dual mass now).
i want to do this right the first time so if upgrades are needed i will start planning for them now :thanks: :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To begin.....do not mix and match trannies and flywheels. If you got a 4spd flywheel, keep it with the 4spd. I have had decent luck with the DMF but I am always looking for a better setup. currently, I too have a truck in pieces and am looking at doing the "Lucky Mod" (i think Mel has a writeup on this) and going with the stock disc. But on the same hand, I don't have a problem with the current DMF and am not anxious of creating new problems. This new commuting between CA and TX is taking the "reliability curve" to newer and more expensive heights:mad: . Oh yea, when you do the clutch job, spend the extra money on a new clutch fork and double check the bellhousing is not cracked.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DMF works fine, when it's not broke or wore out. However, if I were building up a machine from scratch, I certainly would not put one in, knowing what I know about them. I doubt there is a single one fo them that won't eventually fail. There are just way too many parts in one of those to make it the long haul, given the heat and forces exerted on them. Buy a solid flywheel, or go with the lucky mod for your 5 spd.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
so where are some good places to get a solid flywheel?
does center force or anyone make a better than stock clutch/flywheel set up?
how about power differences,i mean between a auto and stick.
it seems like my uncles 7.3 with the stick just has more ass than my 7.3 with the auto.
does anybody have 2 of the same spec trucks other than the trannys to compare the two?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online