DIY spray on bed liner?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has some small rust holes in the bed and i would like to put some kind of liner in there that is not too expensive.
Is there any kind of spray-on bed liner that can be done without special equipment that will hold up well? I don't know anything about the spray on type - but i do have one of those sand-blasting spray guns. I wonder if that could be used? Has anyone done this?
thanks,
paul

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Go to Auto Zone & get a gallon container of Hurculiner. Great stuff, sand off any rust & make sure it's degreased good. Use a normal paint brush, works just fine. Word of caution though, it WILL NOT come off your pants & will take about a week to get off your fingers or hands.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Auto Zone & get a gallon container of Hurculiner. Great stuff, sand off any rust & make sure it's degreased good. Use a normal paint brush, works just fine. Word of caution though, it WILL NOT come off your pants & will take about a week to get off your fingers or hands.

What he said. Be VERY careful with it...or you'll end up like this guy...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
go on ebay and check out rattlerguard....their kit is about the same as the herculiner and comes with the spray gun...i have heard nothing but good things about this stuff and i plan on doing the inside of my samurai tub and the bed of my truck with this stuff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:eek: I think I will probably go this route myself, at least on the Moose Truck. I need to seal up the bed seams. Mental note.... wear latex gloves, and remove to do whatever. LOL

RedTruck

Reaction score
I did alot of my pickup with Herculiner (chassis, fuel tanks, skid plates, cab floor, rear diff). It's nice stuff, but it won't prevent rust. It'll deter it, but won't prevent it.

For the fuel tanks and skid plates I bought a really cheap siphon feed spray gun. I diluted the herculiner with Xylene (like is described in the instructions) and it worked very well. I felt the finish looked the best this way, and it was a lot faster. I applied it much thicker than the directions recommend. If you sand your rusted spots down to bare metal, I'd suggest at least priming it with a rattle can of high etch primer before you use the bedliner.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out when your done.

Paul

oregon-mike

Reaction score
That had to be one of the funniest threads I've ever read;Sweet

Almost 400,000 hits on that article, thread's been closed for years. I saw the Warden post over there way back when too.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: I think I will probably go this route myself, at least on the Moose Truck. I need to seal up the bed seams. Mental note.... wear latex gloves, and remove to do whatever. LOL

When I do mine if I need a break I'll just ask the DW for some help in the extraction & aiming of unsaid device, after 30 years she can't say she's never seen or handled it.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao i remeber that from years ago.

i al have herculined my jeep about 10 years ago, great stuff. i hae hauled engines transmissions and all kinds of stuff on it and it has held up well. i have heard you might want a uv stabilizer if it is in the sun all the time but it has worked well for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online