DIY Mods

CJ7 Hauler

Reaction score
Im looking to see what all you guys have done yourself to get a little more umph or milage out of your trucks.
Ive seen the homemade tymar setup which is in the plans. Im getting a 4" exhaust from the wife for Christmas. After that its just a slight suspensiion lift and bigger tires.
I would like to get a bit more out of it before I put any bully dog stuff in it. Really Im just tired of my Jeep buddies who drive dodges leaving me when we are on the highway.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
get a custom chip from tdp(tony wildman). A chip is the BEST mod you coud do after all the stuff you listed. Also think about gauges.;Sweet

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I'd agree with the above. If you want just a little bit more oomph you could do a 10k mod on your truck. Should give you about 10 more HP or so. I'm sure someone has the link to the instructions, but it's a simple DIY power mod.

Definately stay away from teh BD crap. It's basically a re-badged Edge unit or part anyway. But the chip is definately the way to go. I've always shopped with Dennis over at ITP and have had great service from him. Prices are reasonable as well. He's an advertiser on here so give him a go.

CJ7 Hauler

Reaction score
get a custom chip from tdp(tony wildman). A chip is the BEST mod you coud do after all the stuff you listed. Also think about gauges.;Sweet

Hey matt didnt realize you were on here till I seen the RRORC link and the greenbeast in your sig line. its Russ by the way.

Thanks for the tips guys. Gauges are difnitely in the near future.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
hey Russ i knew that jeep looked familiar!! Next time we have a ride, and my powerstroke is not leaking fuel:mad: i give you a ride.;Sweet

GSF35099

Reaction score
Hi There,
I am new to the forum and noticed that you folk's were talking about Bully Dog and performance chips and I have a few question that I hoped you could help me with.

I have a F350 99 PS that I placed a Supertech chip in many years ago that has proven to give me great response (more power, torque and all that good stuff). It is a piggy back chip that rides on my computer and I was looking at a new Bully Dog as a programmer for the 99 model. Should I stay with the Supertech power chip?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

GSF35099

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
if you are looking to "upgrade". get a custom chip. look for one at DP tuner or tony wildman. A custom chip will give you the most of what you can get out of your truck.;Sweet

GSF35099

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I do a lot of heavy pulling with my truck and she is my baby with about 178,00 miles on her. I put a 4,000 lb. truck camper on her back then pull a
20' enclosed trailer with my bike and a golf cart inside.

I use this thing as a work-horse and had to replace the tranny back in 2004' because it would not shift out of 3rd. I went with a new tranny from Ford and have been having torque converter seal issues. It has been replaced 3 times now under warranty and the last time the mechanic said it was a known problem. Of course I was pulling with the chip in and since removing the chip from the last time they replaced the seal I have not had any tranny leaks. Not sure if it was the chip or just that the mechanic got it right this time??

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Hi There,
I am new to the forum and noticed that you folk's were talking about Bully Dog and performance chips and I have a few question that I hoped you could help me with.

I have a F350 99 PS that I placed a Supertech chip in many years ago that has proven to give me great response (more power, torque and all that good stuff). It is a piggy back chip that rides on my computer and I was looking at a new Bully Dog as a programmer for the 99 model. Should I stay with the Supertech power chip?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

GSF35099

Do the '99s use a chip or can they also benefit from a programmer? Hypertech makes a programmer that seems to be much easier on the EGTs when pulling weight. Seems like all the other programmers are in race mode and are not the best for towing. Anyone have experience with the Hypertech to shed some light?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the '99s use a chip or can they also benefit from a programmer?

You can go both ways with them, chip or programmer. My two cents is get a chip from a reputable source and have it custom programmed to your truck and driving style. Programmers are too generic to see any real gains from, at least not advertised gains.

GSF35099

Reaction score
You can go both ways with them, chip or programmer. My two cents is get a chip from a reputable source and have it custom programmed to your truck and driving style. Programmers are too generic to see any real gains from, at least not advertised gains.

I would have to agree with stroker on this. My Hypertech chip is a chip that I purchased in 99' that was intended to increase my torque, HP and towing ability. Although I have had good success with this chip, it is about time that I get one customized for what I pull now.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also agree...I am running a bully dog chip in my truck and I did notice big difference over stock....BUT.... it seems that my my 3rd position on my swith had LESS power than the 2nd setting.... I have no idea why, and when its really cold my high idle position doesn;t want to work either....???....I have cleaned the contacts time after time and it still don;t work?....I;m not badmouthing bully dog but I have ha so-so luck with it....if anyone has some input i;d appreciate it cause im looking to upgrade but I dont want to get sumthin comparable to what I already have....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online