DIY glow plug harness

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any pointers for making your own glow plug harness? I need to move mine to a different location because it's in the way for running my intake, but the factory harness won't allow me to move it very far.
I plan on putting a manual push button in the truck and running all my own wires to each plug then the controller and to the push button.
All input is welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not rocket surgery. But consider going to eBay and buying a new harness from uhaul techcenter. They have one that will work with minor modifications, and which has really nice connectors on it.

Hmm, now that I've said that, I don't see them with any listed. That's sad. Here's one for $150, which is probably exact and requires no modification: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-Plug-W..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item58abef7123&vxp=mt But that's a piece of money. Too big a piece.

As you can see, there is just not a whole lot to the story. It's got some bullets, some rings, and some spades.

Hmm, this is fascinating, this is all u-techcenter has for "ford glow" right now... http://www.ebay.com/itm/F0TZ9A451A-...ric_Vehicle_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item258a178985 ... is that a PSD part? Connectors look weird to me.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your going to make your own harness, get some 14 Awg. fusible link wire and the 12/10 bullet butt connectors and 16/14 ring connectors. Azone and others have them. They also have the 1/2" plastic flex shield, and shrink tubing.

Remove the plastic on the butt and ring connectors and solder the wires in, then use shrink tubing to insulate them. Don't try to crimp them, doesn't make a good connection.

Last edited:

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a brand new harness, but I don't think they have enough wire in them to be able to relocate the gpc to a good spot out of the way of everything.
You must be registered for see images attach

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is about as far as I could stretch the factory harness and still have a decent look

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to pull the wire loom off all the wires and study it for a bit.
My main concern was the length of wire to get it all out of the way might affect the way the glow plugs work.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, early bird gets the worm iirc haha.
So if I build a harness I HAVE to use visible link wire? Or is normal wire fine? Cuz I got all the normal wire I would need already, but if I need the other stuff I'll get it

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little bit of length difference won't effect the controller. Each glow plug pulls 30+ amps, so if you make any wires longer be sure and use 14 Awg wire. I have a glow plug tester that proves that.

Attachments

• Glow plug testing.jpg
    Glow plug testing.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 81

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well sounds like a have myself a project after a quick trip by oriellys

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, early bird gets the worm iirc haha.
So if I build a harness I HAVE to use visible link wire? Or is normal wire fine? Cuz I got all the normal wire I would need already, but if I need the other stuff I'll get it

It's just that fusible link wire protects each glow plug wire if the wire or plug shorts out. Just a safety measure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online