different rear ends

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, if you spend lots of time in town, a spool/welded is not the way to fly, you will chew up tires very quickly.

And, yes, if you do weld it, use something with lots of power, and weld the gears together, and the gears to the side of the case...

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Limited slip rears were an option - one came in my truck but I ended up swapping for an open rear with 3.55's (stock was a LS4.10) - I never really go off road and I have 4x4 so I do just fine with the open rear. The LS is really well behaved on the street though and probably a good way to go for mild off road use.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
My truck was ordered with the 3.55 stocker limited slip. Has performed very well for my purposed all these years. Wet grass and shallow mud get walked right thru--mostly in 2wd.

It is hardly the rig for knarley off roading anyway. Worked very, very well in heavy snow and icing conditions during three years in Allentown--two of those winters saw over six feet of snow--the IDI performed admirably on everything but glare ice--took tire chains for that. Still have a loose filling from that morning.......

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Here's another vote for the powertrax, Last month I installed them in the front and rear of my bronco. While it weighs much less I have been beating it hard with 37 inch swampers and a warmed up 460 with no bad reports. They are really easy to install and come with a warranty and directions, I had to pull the carriers and ring gears off but some applications don't require it.Just lay everything out in order and replace it the way it was and you will have no problems.
If they hold up under Goat boys abuse we shouldn't have any trouble.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't seem to have any problems getting stuck as long as I keep the front end on solid ground.... that being said I figured out an easy way to change the glow plugs... just drive in the yard till you hit a soft spot and the front end will sink to the cross member.:oops: -cuss Boy you sure can reach alot with the top of the grill just above the knees.:thumbsup: getting out of this predicament is an altogether different problem though. wish I had a camera when this happened

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are really easy to install and come with a warranty and directions,

I havent heard too much about the powertrax...but what I did hear (rather see) was a powertrax unit with about 70,000 street miles on it and all the teeth were rounded off... they also only offer a 2 year warrenty....detroit offers a lifetime warrenty.... detroit is a lot more work to set up but when I do it I am definately doin a detroit just for the fact that if i bolw up 1 powertrax and replace it....im over the cost of a detroit....i also dont know how long powertrax has been around but there is just something that I like about the fact that detroit is tried and true...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I am definately doin a detroit just for the fact that if i bolw up 1 powertrax and replace it....im over the cost of a detroit....

If you don't mind me asking, where were you pricing a Detroit and what kind of price were you getting? All of them I have seen have been like $600 and I can buy two PowerTrax for that. I mean, yeah, I would like to have the Detroit as well, but I can put the PowerTrax in both front and rear axles for the price I was getting on the Detroit, not to mention, they are much easier to set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin