Difference between Dana 60's 85-97 ??

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a neighbor in the market for a Dana 60 solid front axle. I have found several in the $750-$900 dollar range but they are listed in different years like they are different in some way. I just wonder what those differences are. I know the early 60's up to about 89 had kingpins instead of balljoints so some say they are better/stronger than the newer units. What other changes were made over the years. I noticed that the 90-91were lumped together the 92-94 were lumped together and the 95 was byu itself then the 96-97 were together again on my chart.

Any idea why they would be listed seperately? I also noticed that the dually axle were listed seperate but that is to be expected since you would have to remove the adapter and change the lugs out. Did some years get bigger axles or brakes or something like that?

Just looking to inform myself before I order him up an axle that wont work.
Thanks, Eric

82fordtruck

Reaction score
the brakes are different, but I don't know when that changed. The ball joints are different too, as you mentioned.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It is just a brake and king pin vs ball joint difference as far as I know. I prefer the king pin style for simplicity. As long as you keep the seals in OK shape and grease them once in a while they will NOT fail. Ball joints are a PITA in my opinin. I know the super duty 60 is a different animal altogethet though. The brakes did change every few years though. I have had the best luck with the newer brakes (the tye with slide bolts and the bolt on caliper bracket) over the rubber wedge brakes if you can not get a king pin axle. All king pin style 60's have the rubber slide wedges.
Best of luck
Ken

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least through '91, the D60 was kingpin style. The 60 I put on the project truck is from a '91 and it has kingpins.

The new superduty front axle is a solid Dana 50. They will likely bolt to the frame, but the bolt patter on the hub is different (metric). If you get one of these, you'll need to get new wheels as well.

Heath